Feeding herself

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Alias, May 31, 2011.

1. Alias

Alias Mum to two

My DD is about 13 1/2 months (12 corrected) and we're working on her feeding herself. She'll eat some with her fingers (like small pieces of chicken, corn and potato Sunday night) and try at yoghurt with a spoon (and is so so proud of herself!) but doesn't get much in. Is there anything I should be doing to help her learn? Also, she'll eat some things in small chunks (strawberries) and some she'll bite pieces off (toast and biscuits) but some things always get spit out, but she'll eat off a spoon pureed (a lot of fruits).

How should I be presenting most of her food at this age? We still mostly spoon feed, but try to do some finger or self feeding every day. How old were your LOs when they were finally feeding themselves?

2. jenny_wren

jenny_wren Queen Spammatha

have you tried her with a folk for the
    chunkier things?

emily mastered the folk before the spoon as
    it's easier to pick things up and harder for her
    to fling food across the living room lol might
    be worth a shot, mine didn't have purees though
    so she wasn't used to a spoon but kiddies pick
    things up quite quick

:flower:

3. RJsMum

RJsMum Mommy of RJ

We started on BLW from 5.5 mos, but it's the same concept when starting finger foods to begin with. Mostly started with boiled or steamed veg (in stick form, for him to hold) and other things like breadsticks or even peeled (seeded) cucumber sticks to nom on. You'd be surprised what they're capable of when you just make it available and don't put any pressure or expectations on them eating/finishing a certain quantity.

You could always watch some BLW vids on YouTube to get an idea of things to try?

4. DaisyBee

DaisyBee Mom of 2

Megan didnt want to be spoon fed by 8 1/2-9mo so we just let her feed herself. She would sometimes let me help w/ things like yogurt but that was about it. She fed herself everything w/ her fingers for ages & now finally is starting to use her spoon more. Any fruits cut up, veggies, hotdishes, meats, etc she fed herself. Even things like oatmeal & cereal she would just use her hands.