Feeding in public - EEKK!

CeriB

Reaction score
BFing has become easier and less painful over the last few weeks (phew!) and I am venturing out more. However, I am really nervius about doing it in public! We still have the occassion latch issue - she tends to suck herself off my nipple and I have to reattach her. I am worried about getting my boobs out in public and having her faff around so much that it causes a scene!

I's wondering how others cope in this situation? What do you wear? How do you do it descreetly? Do you find it easier in front of strangers or friends? Do you get many looks or comments?

I am not the 'just flop them out' kind so want some tips on how I can do this and feel comfortable.

Thanks!
:flower:

I have breastfeeding tops that have discretion panels. I got them frm h&m and mothercare

hiya hun i'm still trying to get to grips myself, but i bought myself a poncho thing to put over me just so i don't feel exposed ;) lo is much easier to feed at home, never any issues but when we try feeding out its like doing it blind lol cant see what's going on but the more times iv'e done it the easier it becomes :) try not to worry about other people!! what your doing is completly natural. if they don't like it the tell them where to go !! just find yourself some where quiet in a restaurant like bhs or some where like that get yourself a drink and then get stuck in. i tried a mum and todd rm it was groce in there old people coming in to use the loo!!!!! looking at me as if i was in the wrong rm!!! i was real pissed off, cause if i'd of been using an old people toilet they would of had something to say about it wouldn't they!!! good luck xxx
the more relaxed you are the easier it will be all round

Well I don't have any problems N.I.P so may not be best person to answer! I wear either a nursing top or a regular top with a vest top (thin straps) under that you can pull down under your bra when you pull the other top up. This is because I have bad stretchies on my tum that I wouldn't want to subject members of the public to!:haha:

Um, doesn't make any difference to me who's there: strangers, friends, family, in-laws.

If you are anxious there are a couple of things you can do. Firstly you could try feeding at a breastfeeding group/cafe thingy where everyone will be BFing and there will be ladies in the same boat as you and also people who might be able to help. Secondly you can choose somewhere to go first of all which is close to home so if it all becomes too dramatic you can dash home fast (do you have any coffee shops within say a 5 min walk of home?). You can choose a table in a restaurant in a corner so you are not in the middle of all the hustle and bustle (tell the person who seats you that you would like to sit somewhere discreet because you're baby might need feeding).

But my best advice is just to start doing it because if you worry and put it off you'll build up unnecessary anxiety, whereas if you just rip off the bandaid and do it you'll probably find that it's not as bad as you think.

PS My DD also used to have problems latching when she was tiny. They do get better at it, BFing is a skill both mum and baby have to learn and become good at! It doesn't come naturally and easily to the majority of women.

^forgot to answer your other question. No I have never had any funny looks or comments (apart from a small child who kept looking because he was waiting for me to stop so he could come over and see LO). There is lots of NIP going on, you probably just never noticed before you had a baby. Have a look at this thread I made not long ago:

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/511284-n-p-have-you-done-inspiration-thread.html

I've gradually got more confident - the first time I nursed in front of people was at a bf group, then with some other bf mums at a couple of child-friendly cafes. I can now add doctors waiting rooms, various friends and family's sofas, any cafe (although I try to avoid ceiling to floor windows...), baby groups, etc. I found it slightly uncomfortable at first but honestly nobody even notices.

I always wear a vest top under whatever top I'm wearing so the top layer goes up and the vest goes down to leave a small wedge of breast which is a really discreet way to do it.

Good luck and just go for it - it does get easier :flower:

^forgot to answer your other question. No I have never had any funny looks or comments (apart from a small child who kept looking because he was waiting for me to stop so he could come over and see LO). There is lots of NIP going on, you probably just never noticed before you had a baby. Have a look at this thread I made not long ago:

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/511284-n-p-have-you-done-inspiration-thread.html

ooh since you thread iv'e nursed in mothercare walking rd lol sitting on a bench in a shop mall mcdonalds lots gets easier doesn't it? thank god i found thid place:thumbup: x

I didn't feel comfortable nip until Clara was about 6 weeks old and at first I would only do it in a few select places until my confidence built up. She was a flail-about kinda feeder at that time too. Once she started to settle down at feeding time and I felt more confident it just got easier and easier to do in public. Now I'll pull out a boob anywhere, anytime if Clara's hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->