Feeding themselves!

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Is it normal that Caitlin does not feed herself with a spoon?

She eats hand food toast crippies biccie and obviously drinks on her own now but I never give her the spoon to feed herself with dinner or her cereal ...should I be doing that now? :blush:

Alasdair has his cereal without a spoon and shoves it in by scooping it. He's obviously a lot younger but I think that you could still expect her to feed herself even if she didn't want to use a spoon quite yet.

Tyler still doesnt use a spoon either but feeds himself finger foods i think its normal for their age but i do give him a spoon to keep trying but he just plays instead lol

My boy has no interest in feeding himself.
The only finger foods he will eat are things like biscuits. Bits of fruit etc he just doesn't like the feel of them.
I guess they all do things in their own time, at least with me feeding him its a lot less messy!

Hannah pretty much insists on having her own spoon at meal times and is getting better and feeding herself, especially yougurt but is still a bit away from me letting her do it all herself. Its just soo messy!!

I'm not saying I want her to feed herself like to make it easier for me because its fine but I was starting to wonder was it still the norm for her age.

I give her a spoon and a sippy cup that she 'plays' with and over time she copies its quite cute but I'm not comfy to give her cereal or cottage pie yet on her own so was double checking lol

Hannah pretty much insists on having her own spoon at meal times and is getting better and feeding herself, especially yougurt but is still a bit away from me letting her do it all herself. Its just soo messy!!
Wow clever girl :D x

I'd probably let her start then you help her to finish off. It will be very messy though!!

Some can eat with a spoon at that age... some cant. Its normal and im sure she will pick it up soon.

I think its part my fault - the messy stuff Mummy helps her with/feeds her but I started wondering if I was doing the right thing. I don't like mess :blush: HAHA

I hate the mess so I feed max ..but hubby is quite strickt about max feeding himself so we let him do it and well his hair eats most of it lol

callum will only feed himself, wont let mummy do it anymore which is good in a way but can be a huge pain at times. Im sure she'll do it when shes ready. Might i add that callum has only been doing this for the last few weeks.

Everything she touches at the moment is being used for cream on her face so I'm not even going there to start encouraging :lol:!!!

I tried letting ciaran do it a few times but he doesn't eat any of it so i stopped because i would need to make something else because he would be hungry xx

Tabitha wont eat unless she feeds herself, i still have to put the food on the spoon but then she takes it.. think it depends on the baby, am sure she'll do it in her own time :)

rhys didnt feed himself with a spoon/fork until after ffion was born.. so around 18-20 months?

i find that he is very clean when he eats with them now because he never had them to play with when he was younger so he knows they are just for eating with not throwing around etc :)

Dec still doesnt eat with a spoon, he does eat the likes of yoghurt and custard by himself, I will hold the tub and he will spoon it himself, but if it is dinner that is a whole other matter, he just isnt ready, I am not going to push him. I never let him play with the spoon because I dont want him to think it is a play thing, I want him to understand it is for eating only. Dan was eating by himself by 19-20 months but I cant see Dec being there, but he will do it when he wants. xx

The spoon can be tricky for kids, and some kids just don't like it and always use a fork or their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"