Feeding when out

ronnie1234

One child aged five
Reaction score
Remind me the easiest / best way to make bottles when out and about?

When my daughter was little (less than 3 months) and wasn't drinking much, I either made the bottle at home and brought it with me if I knew she would finish it within 2 hours (like I'd make it, she'd sleep in the car on the way to where we were going for 30 minutes or so, and wake hungry so I'd feed her then) or if it was going to be a long day, I'd bring the powder in a pot and a flask of hot water and make it up when I needed it and cool in cold water (usually in a running cold sink). I would sterilise the bottles in the morning and close them up straight from the steriliser. But making them up on the go is a massive pain! We didn't really go out much the first two months, at least not for like the entire day, so I didn't have to do it much, but it only took one time of holding her screaming in a Starbucks bathroom trying to cool a boiling hot bottle in the sink for 10 minutes to convince me I wasn't doing that anymore! Once she was eating a sizeable about per feed (150ml+), I bought the ready made cartons and offered them to her at room temperature, which was fine. That was way easier and honestly I might do that again from the start if I FF next time. If your baby is only eating small amounts and won't finish it all, it does get wasted (and it's more expensive than powdered formula already), but it was well worth it. I didn't go out every day anyway and often I could manage to do the morning feeds before leaving the house, so I only needed to do the early afternoon feed out, which meant it didn't cost too much. It was much easier just to grab a bottle and a carton and go than to deal with portioning out the powder, boiling the water for the flask, and then washing all the extra stuff when we got home.

We did the same as MindUtopia - if she was going to drink it within 2 hours, we'd make her up a feed normally at home. If it was going to be longer than that, we bought the premade cartons and brought a sterilised bottle with us and fed it to her at room temperature.

I did the same: I prepared the bottles and the right amount of boiled water (hot and cold) and formula beforehand, and when it was the time to feed the baby, I took everything out and mix it all together. Very easy and practical.

I'm thinking the pre made bottles might be easiest once on enough formula but I. The beginning take the bottles of boiled water with me. Poss one bottle of boiled water can cool if need be & another bottle of boiled water in bottle warmer will this work?

I put formula in a tub, take two sterilised bottles, a flask of boiling water and a flask if cooled boiled water.

He takes 5oz so I pour two oz of the hot water in to a bottle, add powder and shake. I then measure 3oz of cooled water in to the other bottle and then add to the formula mix to give 5oz. The amount of boiling to cooked water gives the perfect temperature for for drinking with the boiling water sterilising the forumla.

It's a very simplistic way of recreating the perfect prep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"