Feeling a bit guilty over AN appoints??!!

lucylu79

Reaction score
Anyone else??? My anti natal appoints take me 1hr to get to from work so I always try to plan them around lunch breaks or late afternoon but I'm starting to feel a bit guilty over the paid time off?? :wacko:

I start parentcraft classes tues am which run 9.30-11.30 meaning I shall get to work around 1ish, I was fully intending to make the time up but i've just read that they are also included in the paid time off bracket??? :shrug:

How is everyone else feeling about this sort of thing??

xx

I have tried to take as many off in my own time as possible, for example last year I had alot of holiday that I HAD to use before Xmas so I generally took a day off for scans etc so I could enjoy the special day rather than rush to and from work. I also put in alot of extra time at work, way more than most people so I try not to feel guilty.

Sometimes if my appointment means taking a bit extra time out of work than usual I do feel a little bad then I think no why should I, they get more out of me than I take back.... Do you always leave bang on time and always take a full lunch hour? I know I don't so I see it just as getting some of that time back :) xxx

Don't feel guilty about it hun, in reality most of us give much more back to employers in unpaid overtime or just doing a bit extra during our working life than we'll ever get back with these bits of time off.

i feel guilty, there's only 4 of us and 2 are part time. i dont take lunch if im going to hospital... the MW centre is only open from 2 as well so i try to go about half four so i only miss 1hr30 from work.. its hard . we shouldn't feel guilty i know but i cant help it
!! there are classes i really want to go to, too but i just dont feel like i can ask for MORE time off :/
i dont think we should feel guilty but i feel your anxiety x

To be honest work already owe me 21 hours time in lieu which i've been keeping in case of sickness but I've been very lucky so far and only had 1 day off in 6 months.

I think its more the other staff i'm worried about, I work in an office with about 30 staff, some full but mostly part time and it always gets "noted" when full timers aren't there, whether it be holiday/sick or appoints. A few people were very "surprised" to learn that my appoints were paid and don't even ask what happened when they found out that I still accrue holidays when on ML!!!

I think i need to just accept that I do give a lot to work and I should just let people moan behind my back, they'll never change!!!

xx

Not sure what time your MW starts but when I was working fulltime i used to make sure i either had the very first appointment at 8.30 or the last one at 5.30, that was in London though so I'm not sure if other places would be open as long as that. I know now where I am MW appts are from 9.30-11 on a monday morning.

To be honest work already owe me 21 hours time in lieu which i've been keeping in case of sickness but I've been very lucky so far and only had 1 day off in 6 months.

I think its more the other staff i'm worried about, I work in an office with about 30 staff, some full but mostly part time and it always gets "noted" when full timers aren't there, whether it be holiday/sick or appoints. A few people were very "surprised" to learn that my appoints were paid and don't even ask what happened when they found out that I still accrue holidays when on ML!!!

I think i need to just accept that I do give a lot to work and I should just let people moan behind my back, they'll never change!!!

xx

Tell me about it!!! It came up in conversation with a woman at work about when I was leaving and I said about holiday and she made it very clear how she felt and how ridiculous she thought it was, she also did this quite loudly so everyone else in the office heard...... Then the other day she came up to me and said don't forget you can use 5 next year when you come back and if god forbid something bad was to happen you then wouldn't have any holiday for the rest of the year.... She didn't like the fact that even if my baby was born still now I would still get all my maternity leave... As if loosing a baby at this point onwards wouldn't be hard enough!!!!

AWWW HELL NO!! lol
takes me a while to travel 2 docs from work as well but i love getting away early dont feel guilty 1 wee bit lol
i work 40 hrs a week and the midwife is only at my docs on a mon so i cant arrange them out of my working time
i just think of it as looking after me and my baby and i cant wait 2 get 2 the classes at the hospital as mine r on a sat a half day on a sat oh yess lol

xx

No guilt here. Every other woman at your work would be entitled to the same thing if they had a baby. Take everything u can! Work really isn't that important!

I felt a bit guilty as well, even though I know I'm entitled to the time. I compromised by going to scans in my own time - they were usually in the morning so I'd take the rest of the day off as either holiday, or I'd make it up later, and then took paid time off for my antenatal appointments.

It worked out well for me, because the scans felt more special than the appointments, so I'd go shopping after for baby things or go and have a nice lunch with whoever had come with me - it was much nicer and more memorable than going into work for the afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->