Feeling down...

Wanting2try

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New around here & this is my first post... I was on Google asking for help when I came across these forums... I am WTT really badly but there are a few things holding me back! Here is some info about me and what is consuming me at the moment.

I'm 26, my hubby is 28
We have been married 1 year in July
Together 8 years

I am desperate to start a family but am stuck between that and wanting to lose weight. (I am 172cm tall and weigh 120kgs) and to make matters worse I am on anti depressants. (150mg sertraline) I know what it takes to lose weight as I have done it before but I am discourage at the fact that I have put 20ish kilos on in 10 months which realistically would take 12+ months to lose. Also stuck in this viscous circle of anxiety & depression which brings lack of motivation, makes me anti social, tired & want to binge eat.

I don't need any lectures about depression & having a baby being a bad mix I just want to know if anyone has any advice on how to stop letting it consume me ...

Welcome to the wtt party, it's hard to stop it being all consuming, I don't have the answer to that I'm afraid (I really wish I did). All I can suggest is have a good rant on here and then try distract yourself (easier said though I know)
Have you discussed your options with your doctor, you might be ok to ttc if you think your ready. If not, hang in there and good luck.x

Hi Wantingtotry, sorry you're having such a bad time at the moment.
How about taking it little by little? The whole picture can be overwhelming if you don't break it down into mini achievements. And feeling overwhelmed leads to demotivation because it seems too big. Every time you accomplish a mini goal it will motivate you to continue. Also, trying to diet, exercise and everything all at the same time can lead to too much restriction and binging (been there!) When I am exercising I find I naturally make healthier choices without having to restrict everything. While trying to lose weight a little bit of what you fancy does you good.

Exercise WILL help with your state of mind, let the weight loss benefits be secondary rather than thinking of the total amount you want to lose. How about going for walks with your husband? Don't worry about how far you're walking because if you're tired and cant be bothered it may make you not want to go if you think oh I have to walk x number of miles. Just go out together and enjoy the countryside or the area you live. The weight will start to come off without you even realising you're exercising and once you start seeing the scales go down you will want to continue!

Sorry you're feeling so low. It will get better. Hugs xxx

just try to remain POSITIVE!!! im in the same situation as you lovely... i weigh around 96 kilos and im 154 cms tall... i have decided to loose some weight before trying to conceive... by eating healthier foods & eating less... and i exercise everyday now and i have been exercising for around 2 weeks now and i already can see/feel a difference!!! i also have something similar too depression... and when i get negative... i pick myself up by thinking of the good things in life! making small changes in your life-- socially, eating habits..... can make a huge difference, and will make you feel proud and happier of yourself! :) i also find that meditation is good to relax and chill... all the best!

Thank you for the support. :thumbup:

Last night I also found out a friend of mine is pregnant, of course I'm happy for them but it added to my frustration yesterday...

Got on the scales this morning and have lost 2.4kgs in 2 weeks since starting the 5:2 diet so I was feeling abit more positive today. I see a PT twice a week also, I do need to walk more though.. My hubby mentioned yesterday about maybe going and playing some squash together for fun.

Spicyorange my doctor told me to hold off on starting a family for now because of the high dosage of anti depressant I'm on, I am off to see a phycologist in a couple weeks who apparently deals with eating disorders and weight issues. I'm hoping she will help stop the viscous circle so the dosage I'm on can be reduced...

Some of my friends tell me I shouldn't worry about my weight cause I will just put more on when I get pregnant and can work on losing it afterwards but I feel like if I can't do it now I may never try again... The mental struggle that comes with it is not easy though especially when there seems to be babies everywhere!

Thanks again for the support

exercising is always a good idea, for me my daily exercise is actually the house chores. Im a cleanliness freak, so i actually clean the house everyday. Mopping the floors, cleaning the toilets, wiping all the shelves, tables and surfaces with a wet cloth, etc.

Cleaning the house IS exercise and at the same time being proud of my home. so it kills 2 birds in one stone.

Another way is to get a hobby. it may be sports or it may not even be weight loss related. sometimes when we take up a hobby we make more friends, or feel proud of ourselves for our achievements. It could be growing orchids, or setting up an aquarium, when u feel proud of your achievements u get to see your achievements everyday and your spirits will be lifted.

Worth considering?

Gosh, I had the same theory in my head as I was reading through this as your friends Wanting2Try.. When I was pregnant I put on so much weight and took me 9 months to get it all off again but it sounds like you have a personal goal in mind of wanting to achieve losing weight BEFORE you try for a baby. Which I think is very admirable.

I heard that some anti depressants can make you put on weight as well though, I'm sure you have probably discussed that with your doctor though but if not maybe take it up with him/her and see if there's something else you can go on.

I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, it's so damn difficult! Everytime I want to eat something that I shouldn't (i.e. chocolate - I'm a choco-holic!!) I have to talk to myself and try convince myself not to, especially if I've just done exercise that day as I feel if I eat the bad food then the exercise was a waste of time!

I've recently bought a health and fitness magazine and I find reading it at night before I go to bed helps motivate me and start the next day with motivation to try harder! I feel if you surround yourself with fitness and healthy foods you will succeed and feel more motivated. For example the PT that you are going to is great! Maybe try make it to a few exercise classes like zumba or spinning or something that involves other people and music!!

Goodluck and take each day as it comes!

As someone who has also suffered anxiety and depression I would highly recommend trying to get on top of it as best as you can and have some good coping mechanisms in place before getting pregnant. I ignored my depression when I was TTC and when I was pregnant as I thought it would all be better when I had my baby in my arms but the shock of the change to my life hit me hard and I suffered some terrible anxiety after he was born. I think being more prepared would have helped, I know I was prepared with DS2 so I managed the anxiety after his birth much much quicker.

Maybe don't focus on losing weight but focus on making yourself feel good by trying to eat good food and get out moving, don't look at the numbers on the scale if they depress you. I used to be on the same medication (although lower dosage) and have been off it for about a year since exercising almost every day. It is part of my commute to work as that is the only way I can fit it in. Try and find something that fits in with your life as it makes it easier to stick with it.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->