feeling drained, do the vitamins really work?

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
do you feel the pregnancy vitamins really work?
I have not been taking them all along - I know- naughty :dohh:
and am now low on B12 and probably iron too. So I am going to start taking the B12 and am thinking I should go on the prenatals too. Do you find they really give you more energy or is it all just psychological?
I am not a big pill taker and am currently taking meds for nausea, and reflux so that will make it about 4 or 5 pills in a day! annoying but I'll do it if it will help.

What do you find?

I wouldn't like to say hun as they make me feel sick so i have not been taking them. All is healthy with me and little man and i am feeling fab. Could be that i am eatting a balanced diet (not that i have been giving it much notice). xxx

Tbh.. I haven't been taking pre-natals eithers.. I took the folic acid up to week 12 as advised by my MW but the prenatals I originally brought are the size of bullets and I can't seem to swallow them or find a smaller alternative (there the santaogen ones think that's how you spell it lol). I personally think that if you eat a healthy balanced diet then you get all the vitamins and nutrients you need anyway. I think the prenatals are more a supplement than anything.. And lets face it if you need any extra vits then I'm sure LO will let us know!!! xxx

I take Boots own - only because I'm aware of the fact I'm probably not eating a massively varied diet at the moment and I feel its a bit of a safety net though I'm sure most of that is in the mind!

I have to say though *touch wood* I've been pretty healthy throughout the pregnancy, mind you is that the vitamins.... who knows!

I do think diet is the best way to get all the vitamins a person needs, however, there are some people who don't absorb these vitamins fully and a supplement can very much make a difference regardless of their diet. Also, certain vitamins should be paired with certain foods in order to fully absorb them. Iron, for instance, will not be absorbed fully when taken with calcium products (like dairy) and it is best absorbed when taken with vitamin C.

A friend of mine eats loads of food with vitamin B12 in it and lo and behold, found out he is deficient because his body isn't absorbing it, so I really think the matter of diet being sufficient for a body's needs is purely individual.

Anyway, I found that I was low on iron and at that time I was absolutely completely knackered. I can't even explain how crappy and low I felt. I started taking iron vitamins and about two weeks later (it takes some time to build up), I feel a pretty big difference in my energy levels and overall feeling of well-being. I would definitely say it made a difference for me.

thanks all the problem is i have such bad food aversion i dont eat a blanced diet, not this time round anyway..

I've taken a prenatal the whole time starting 3 months before my BFP and I've felt fantastic the whole pregnancy so far. I haven't felt tired or drained. I can't say for certain its the vitamins, but they could definitely be a factor.

I take Pregnacare. I did have a pretty rubbish diet as ive only just started being able to stomach healthy foods again. When i went to the MW at 16 weeks she said from testing my urine that i had been eating very well. Im guessing she could see the vits in my urine or something? As long as they are going into my body i am reassured that my baby will be taking what she needs.

I would give them a go. a big box of the Pregnacare is only £15 ish and will last you 3 months so its worth a try? x

I have found that the next day, I can concentrate more, and I do have more energy..take them!!

All I know is that the Folic Acid they contain is very important in preventing Neural Tube Defects. My first trimester I slept 10 hours a night and took a 3 hour nap each day vitamins or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->