Feeling like "the only BFing mum in the Villaaage"!

Ginger1

Harry's Mum
Reaction score
Just tried out the new local mum and baby group, and I was surprised to be the only one not getting the bottles out!

They were a really nice friendly group, but I was quite amazed that BFing isn't more popular round here:shrug: I must admit it's the first time I've felt awkward about feeding in public as I felt in a definite minority...I did it anyway though:haha:

Has anyone else encountered this? I go to a BFing group as well, but I'm in the minority there too as I'm pretty much the only one who's a first time mum with a small baby.

Nevermind, I'm still feeling very proud of myself for sticking with it, even if it does make me a bit of an anomaly round here :(

hi hun, i don't know anyone who bf either? i don't really go to groups as i have older children but i'm just starting to feel comforatable doing anywhere, and i went to a mates house and she made me feel really akward about it lol its no wonder women don't even try it let alone keep it up for a while :( i'm on 9 wks now but do feel alone in it :( that's why i come here . i'm also proud iv'e come this far just seems no one else agrees :( xxx

I'm the only BFing one in my circle of Mums too. Can be a bit awkward, esp. as 2 close friends wanted to BF and couldn't.

I have a bunch of friends who all had babies the same time as me and I too am the only one who breastfeeds. It's not very common around here especially among the younger generation.

I have the opposite problem lol, everyone breastfeeds at our childrens center, im really shy about breastfeeding in public (haven't left the house since she was born except for baby clubs and the baby clinic) and so when you walk in to the clinic for the weigh in and HV they expect you to flop your boobs out as soon as you walk into the door to show them you technique everytime you go, i find it so uncomfortable. when i first started struggling and went in for help (didn't know what to expect then) she started man handling my nipples *cringe* It puts me off, i almost want to lie and say no i bottle feed so they keep their hands to themselves, they don't even ask if i want to get them out or be fondled, they just tell me to get them out in front of everyone and start moving it about in my daughters mouth for me. I find it a little traumatizing lol, i feel more pressurised to get it right which makes me more stressed and more wanting to quit because everyone breast feeds and they get you to do it so publicly at the baby center.

just a quick reply to you all to say well done for breastfeeding and you should be proud of yourselves! its a wonderful thing to do and so what if you ar the only ones doing it, that should make you even prouder. its not an easy job, but so worth it in the end.
i breastfed my daughter for 13mths and over here in france its not normal, i felt proud to be different and i am replying to this because i still feel proud that i did it and i will do it again, hopefully. there are a lot of people that never try it and wish they had so keep up the good work and just think of the benefits you are giving your baby and yourself!

I'm the only one in my friendship group that carried on past 6 months & the only one at the playgroup we go to ( under 3's) that bfs at all. It's kinda sad, but at the same time, a lot of them did bf for a couple of months then switched to formula for a variety of reasons. I really should go to the bf group sometime to feel normal again, lol!

I have the opposite problem lol, everyone breastfeeds at our childrens center, im really shy about breastfeeding in public (haven't left the house since she was born except for baby clubs and the baby clinic) and so when you walk in to the clinic for the weigh in and HV they expect you to flop your boobs out as soon as you walk into the door to show them you technique everytime you go, i find it so uncomfortable. when i first started struggling and went in for help (didn't know what to expect then) she started man handling my nipples *cringe* It puts me off, i almost want to lie and say no i bottle feed so they keep their hands to themselves, they don't even ask if i want to get them out or be fondled, they just tell me to get them out in front of everyone and start moving it about in my daughters mouth for me. I find it a little traumatizing lol, i feel more pressurised to get it right which makes me more stressed and more wanting to quit because everyone breast feeds and they get you to do it so publicly at the baby center.

Sorry to hijack, but oh my word, that's awful! It is very bad practise for someone to actually latch your baby, especially if you're uncomfortable too (and frankly, who wouldn't be?!). I'd put your foot down and say you're breastfeeding, but that you don't want their input. I'm very confident breastfeeding anywhere, in front of anyone, but the idea of that makes my skin crawl!

^WSS how on earth can they think thats encouraging? In this area they can check your latch if you want but they don't manhandle you; even at the BF groups...

there are 8 of us (friends and myself) and out of us all I only have ONE friend who breast feeds! I am always shocked that breast feeding has become less of a "norm" than it once was and it sorta makes me sad. I have nothing against other forms of feeding, I combination fed my first due to latch issues etc but it makes me sad that so many women who can breast feed choose not to...in my case most of the women I know that dont its because they either dont want to put the effort in or like that they can get a babysitter all the time......
So when Im with my friends I feel odd feeding in public :s

omg this scares me! I dont even like when my gyn examines them for breast exams with my annual!! I think if my LOs pediatrician hints at whipping them out i will have to remind her i am not her patient, the baby is... im scared.

just a quick reply to you all to say well done for breastfeeding and you should be proud of yourselves! its a wonderful thing to do and so what if you ar the only ones doing it, that should make you even prouder. its not an easy job, but so worth it in the end.
i breastfed my daughter for 13mths and over here in france its not normal, i felt proud to be different and i am replying to this because i still feel proud that i did it and i will do it again, hopefully. there are a lot of people that never try it and wish they had so keep up the good work and just think of the benefits you are giving your baby and yourself!

Hi, do you mean that it is not normal to BF in France? Or that it isnt normal past a certain age? I always thought most people in France did BF. Im not sure why. :)

I am so lucky - we have built up a local group of mums through NCT, yoga, B&B(!)... and I think we are all bf'ing or at least mixed feeding. So for me it is the norm. I think I'd have found it much harder and even gien up if I didn't have that support (almost peer pressure to an extent) so I really admire those who do it despite feeling uncomfortable or facing opposition. And I can't believe that about the baby clinic and being manhandled. I'd tell them to get lost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->