Feeling rubbish had to rehome my dog.

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by JLB, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JLB

JLB Well-Known Member

Sorry not really about babies but we have taken our dog back to the dogs trust today and I'm feeling really rubbish. He was so nervous and scared of everything, lo made him jump and he snapped at her face so we didn't really have much choice but to give him back. I just keep thinking maybe we could have kept him but kept them apart he was only little so wouldn't have been that difficult. We only had him a year but the house seems really empty, I know we have done the right thing really but its still rubbish!
    Sorry for the moan but dh is at work and lo is quite happy playing and we would normally be taking the dog for a walk so not sure what to do with myself.

2. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

:hugs:

I know how you feel. I have an older dog (over 14) that I've had since she was a baby. Now that she's older, she's not doing so well with kids. :nope: She's mostly blind and deaf and scares easily. She's snapped at LO more than once. Once she actually got his face. :shock: Thankfully she didn't do too much damage (just a couple of red marks and they healed) but it was scary.

I've tried the keeping them separate route and it is nearly impossible. :wacko: The more the LOs are running around, the more complicated it is getting. I end up shoving the poor dog out the door to the garage all the time. :( And LO is not learning to treat dogs properly as a result. It's breaking my heart.

If I could rehome her, I would in a heartbeat. It would be better for everyone. So, I am quite sure you did the right thing.

:hugs:

3. TigerLady

:shock: That was rude. :(

4. _Vicky_

_Vicky_ Mum to twins

Awwww you certainly did the right thing - if she is young then she needs to be in a calm environment and well babies arent that are they. I rehomed my dalmatian puppy in 2009 because my life changed and I had to get an out of home job which meant I was away for 12 hours plus - she was only 8 months old and couldnt cope - my four year old lab did fine. My lovely spotty girl found a fabulous home and is still happy and thriving (oh no am crying even now typing this lol) sooooo the short version to my story is that the one that will suffer the most is you my sweet so just be glad you did this selfless thing xxx

5. _Vicky_

_Vicky_ Mum to twins

Get a grip - rehoming isnt awful - rehoming is selfless and putting the needs of your animal first. I am a passionate believer in that if you can give them what they need you need to find someone who can - of course you absolutely have to go through the proper channels to do so responsibly. We quite frankly dont need comments like this on here so dont bother replying if you dont have anything supportive or useful to say!!!!!

6. ginny

ginny Well-Known Member

Big hugs lovey, my good friend is battling with this at the minute, she has a little dog and it's tearing her apart, she doesn't know what to do, hope you're ok xxxx

7. Carrie76

Carrie76 Mummy to Ethan and Isla

And imagine if the dog had taken a bite out of a little one's face or worse?? That was totally uncalled for.

8. SaffronSkye

SaffronSkye Active Member

How bloody rude, she's protecting her child AND the dog will got a home where it's not having to be shut away. Best all round. Also it's pretty mean to come into a thread where someone's upset nd say something like that. Imagine if someone replied to you like that.

9. KatelynsMummy

KatelynsMummy Mummy to Katelyn!

Re-homing is the best option when it comes to the safety of a child, and if you would chose an animal over a child, then you dont deserve that child.
    That was rude, and out of order, there was no need for that at all!

To the OP, your doing the right thing, dogs are VERY unpredictable, if they snap once, they can do again, and worse.. :flower:

10. SaffronSkye

SaffronSkye Active Member

Dont think it's your place to say she gave up easily on the dog, the dog was a danger to her LO and she's blatantly cut up about it.

11. Rose_bud

Rose_bud Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to rehome, we had to with our cat when we moved from the US to the UK. I was devastated.
    We've looked into getting a do g but I would only go to a rescue center, they won't rehome to family's with young children for the same reason you said. I think you did the right thing.:hugs:

12. JLB

JLB Well-Known Member

I agree rehoming is awful but I think that was a bit rude when you have no idea of my situation. Our little dog was 6 when we got him from the shelter so a lot of people wouldn't have even wanted him at all, he has a lot of issues that we weren't aware of when we got him and we were in touch with our vet and had a behaviourist visit after only having him a few months to help with all his issues. He snapped at me and my husband a couple of times and then finally my lo actually catching her face (only slight scratches thankfully) each time it wasn't done nastily he was just startled as he is such a nervous little thing. We debated and decided that it was better for him to go to a new home with no or older children rather than actually bitingcand not be able to be rehomed at all. I would have loved to have kept him his problems and all but my head told me it wasn't the best idea but my heart is still wishing we had kept him, especially since my lo loved him so much.

13. JLB

JLB Well-Known Member

Oh and how rude of me, forgot to say thankyou so much to everyone. I don't start my own threads very often but whenever I do everyone is lovely.

14. TigerLady

:hugs: You honestly did the right thing. You shouldn't feel like you had to defend yourself to those that choose to judge before bothering to ask the details. :nope:

I know it is heartbreaking, but you clearly went out of your way to help him. He will feel more secure in a home without children. You made the right choice for everyone.

15. Mya209

Mya209 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that you had to rehome your dog! I know id be devastated. I'm sure doggy will be happy in his new home!

16. Dolly.

Dolly. Mummy & pregnant

:hugs:hugs:hugs:
    you did the right thing hun
    people really should think about their comments before replying:wacko:

17. Sarah10

Sarah10 Guest

:hugs: Sorry your finding it difficult hun, when i got pregnant we considered re-homing chase as i was unsure how he would react (he has always been my baby lol) thankfully they get on well. I think you did the right thing its always best to put safety first for your LO, i hope you are ok. Did you meet the new owners? xx

18. Mrs-C

Mrs-C Mummy to 1 DD & 2 dogs

To the OP, I am sorry you have to take your dog back. I feel for you, it must be heartbreaking. I am going to get on my soap box and ask that others think of the dog too. If it came from the dogs trust it has obviously been in at least one other home before. It is not nice for dogs in shelters and there isn't always room for them all. If the dog has snapped at a child, in any circumstance, people will be wary of taking them in.

Not wanting to start a fight, just pointing out the dog's side of the situation :flower:

19. JLB

JLB Well-Known Member

I agree completely, we had a really long talk with the dogs trust today and went through everything. I was so worried about him maybe not being re-homed but they are confident they can find the right home for him, I would much prefer him to feel included in a loving home than shut out of ours no matter how much we loved him. He settled in really easily with us so not worried about him its me thats a mess.

20. sequeena

sequeena Winging it.

I'm fed up of people who assume they know the entire situation and feel so high and mighty as to pass judgement.

OP I'm sorry you've had to rehome. I commend you for actually taking the time to try and give a rescue dog a forever home in the first place. I hope in a few years you can do the same thing again and this time it will work out :hugs: