female sterilisation questions...

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by ouchwithNo.2, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ouchwithNo.2

ouchwithNo.2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if being sterilised as a woman means no more periods?
    We are both decided on the two children we have and they are already 6yrs apart so we wont be having anymore - if we did (and OH is against it) it would be soon and a) I just cannot bear the thought of labour again and would want an elective section, so that wont happen and b) then our eldest who is 6 would be totally alienated as the two youngest would be closest and time consuming, so we dont want that to happen.
    Since having my second my periods are terrible, really heavy, lasting 7-8 days and I cannot go out for the first 4. GP says it is 'normal' after having children :shrug: (they didn't get this bad after my first!) and quite honestly I suffer a week leading up to it and then another week on it and I have had enough.
    I am anti any BC that contains hormones like the pill - haven't touched it in 10yrs and if we aren't planning anymore babies there is no need to put hormones into my body.
    So, I was thinking, sterilisation, kill two birds with one stone so to speak...can it??
    I'm 29 soon and 100% decided no more children...
    :flower:

2. ouchwithNo.2

my mum also suffers really bad from heavy periods and anemia (I dont - very high iron count) and fibroids, which her mum suffered from and ended up having a hysterectomy (sp?).
    my mum may need the same thing and GP told her that fibroids can run in families.
    I don't want to spend the next 24yrs suffering....

3. Lost_Plot

Lost_Plot GADOING GADADOING DOING

My mum was sterilized and I'm afraid the answer is yes you still have periods. I don't know if they get lighter though. I'll have to ask her next time I speak to her.

4. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

My mum was sterilised and still had heavy periods afterwards.

5. ouchwithNo.2

:dohh:
    no no no!!!
    I have reluctantly thanked you! :winkwink:
    I kind of hoped that since it wasn't partly going on down there it wouldn't ALL be going on down there.
    Oh dear...
    Time to find a more sympathetic GP
    :cry::cry:

6. Torz

Torz Mummy to 2 DS & pregnant

I think the only perminent way of having no periods is going through the change which is not something you can make happen or have a hysterectomy.

You could always try the mini pill, you take without any breaks & have no periods. I've been on it since 2wpp (its the only pill you can take while BF) & i havent had a period yet, its been ace, i've not had a period since before i found out i was pregnant over a year ago.

7. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

My Mum is sterilised and still suffers heavy painful periods.

I do too and have just had a Mirena coil inserted yesterday which is supposed to help and also lasts 5 years. I used to take Mefenamic Acid and Solpadol and stay in bed for 3days to deal with the pain, I know how you feel. I don't plan on getting sterilised though as I'm only 20 lol.

xx

8. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I would suggest the coil. No hormones and prevents pregnancy. Can't help you about the periods though, that sounds awful.
    I'm also not interested in taking hormones anymore and considering my options because we don't want any more kids either. Currently we're using condoms, but the coil or having my OH snipped are both being considered.

9. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon Well-Known Member

The Mirena coil stopped my periods for nearly 5 years (they started coming back very lightly and erratically towards the end). I didn't have heavy periods beforehand though, so I'm not sure if I was just fortunate.

10. mystika802

mystika802 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. My oldest is 7 years old and if we had another (which OH doesnt want) it would have to be soon. I dont want to be pregnant (was really really sick with Charlie) while he is so young and alienate my oldest from the little ones. My hubby will be getting a vasectomy