Ferritin levels

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Unicus, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Unicus

Unicus Well-Known Member

So I just got my blood results through the post and everything seems fine. Just one thing tho... What are ferritin levels? And is 28.0 ok for them? Never heard of ferritin before, even during my first pregnancy I don't remember hearing that word :shrug: x

2. Sazzoire

Sazzoire Well-Known Member

Hi honey

I have had a Ferritin disorder since I was 16ish... I'm now 34. Ferritin is the part of your red blood cells that store Iron. I was told that the 'average' adult should have a ferritin level of between 20-120 depending on age, gender etc.... Mine used to average 4 and I was required to have Iron injections as I am intolerant to Iron tablets... I would say that 28 is fine and if your GP is concerned will just pop you on some iron tablets.

xx

3. sarah0108

sarah0108 Well-Known Member

28 sounds fine hun :)

mine are at 10.3 at the moment but i have severe anaemia and before i got pregnant the first time i was at 7.3. i have blood tests for it all the time and get ill a lot with it lol x

4. Unicus

Unicus Well-Known Member

Thanks both :) I hate seeing things in my notes or letters that I don't understand :-D good to know that 28 is fine too :) x

5. Nicola83

Nicola83 Well-Known Member

Me too! - when I got my blood test results through it had a note on that I had to have my ferritin levels checked, I had no idea what it meant so obviously I panicked!!!

When I found out it was to do with Iron though I wasn't too bothered but thankfully the second test came back fine so I don't have to go on Iron tablets :thumbup:

6. babybel

babybel Mummy to two

Ferritin is basically what they use to measure your iron store. Mine dropped from 9 to 5 whilst on three tablets a day and then from 5-4 whilst on iron syrup so ended up with an iron infusion. Now my stores are 284 but my hb level is dropping, everyone is baffled! Really frustrating! X

7. Jadey121

Jadey121 Mummy of 2. Expecting No3

Ferritin is to do with iron and mine is 10 - im sooo tired! Im on the iron tablets!