Fertility Multivitamins - can they mess up your cycle??

wishingwishes

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here - well I joined a little while ago when the baby fever was super strong one day, but haven't posted anything yet.

I am planning on trying for baby number one in 2016, so decided to start taking a preconception/fertility multivitamin a few weeks ago. Now, I am nearly a week late (and not pregnant!). I have been regular all year, after 18 months of having very irregular periods after coming off the pill. It's really frustrating!

The multivit is the only thing that has changed, and I don't feel stressed or ill. I was just wondering if it could be causing the late period? Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them, and did you go back to being regular once your body adjusted?

Some people do take B6 (I'm not sure in what amounts though and how that would compare to what is in a pre-conception vitamin) to lengthen their luteal phase, if they have a short one, which would overall lengthen your cycle. I would imagine you'd have to take it in higher than standard doses for it to work though (you might just check the amount of B6 in your vitamin against the RDA and against the amounts people take it when they have a short luteal phase), or else it would happen to everyone who takes a pre-conception or pregnancy vitamin. But that would be something you might look into? Overall, a longer cycle isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you can still pinpoint when you tend to ovulate.

Thanks MindUtopia! I know I'm probably being silly, but I couldn't help but wonder.

Sometimes if I change my diet then it can alter my cycle so I was wondering if taking a supplement could do the same thing. There's only 10mg B6 in the supplements so not a lot.

I already have a long cycle so I am hoping that it's just a blip, but really I don't mind a long cycle if it is regular.

Do you know when you are ovulating? Most of the time when I think my period is late it is actually the fact that ovulation was late. I have long cycles (this one is looking to be about 56 days!) and am trying to get them regulated too. x

I'd be interested to follow along on this one. I started taking Folate + Iodine three months ago, first cycle was fine, second cycle (which is the first one I temped) was 2 days late, I ovulated on day 20, and this cycle I'm on day 26 and no ovulation yet. Not helpful for timing as I was hoping to start TTC at Christmas, but looks like I won't be fertile then anymore :(

I wouldn't stop taking the vitamins obviously but it would help my peace of mind to know if it was the vitamins doing it, not just my body going whacky.

I've never heard of any multi vitamins messing up your cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->