Fertility problems - a guys perspective

Well, I've had my new test results back, and I think I'm even more confused as there seem to be some contradictions!

So, in a nutshell, the results of my first test were:Low concentration (11mil/ml) :cry:
Very low vitality / motility / progression :nope:
Normal shape

My latest test (two weeks later) have come back
Still low concentration (12.3mil/ml) :wacko:
Very HIGH vitality (>78%) HIGH motility (>78%) and good progression (65%) :happydance:
Bad shape (only 2% normal) :growlmad:

The concentration is of course a matter of concern, although my total sample size is quite a bit above average so I actually far exceeded the “total” minimum threshold – although I appreciate it’s still a problem. I do generally produce a reasonable amount of semen, and I wonder whether this dilutes the concentration? – a question for the doctor I guess.

What has confused me is that the results for mobility and shape are the binary opposite of my last test!!

Last time I was told I had extremely POOR vitality / motility/ progression, this time I am told I have extremely good vitality / mobility / progression – way above the thresholds.

And again, last time I was told that the formation was very good and well within thresholds, but this time I am being told that most are poorly formed. Again, the binary opposite of last time!

Having done a little more research about shape it seems that this may be quite a subjective measure and the impact on fertility is somewhat unproven, but nonetheless I still find it odd that two weeks ago I was producing perfectly normal semen and now I’m apparently not.

Overall the new test results have given me a little more hope that with some lifestyle changes and zinc supplements etc that we might be able to conceive naturally. However, will go and see doctors and report back.

This actually makes some sense. If you waited a week before your first test, then the sperm created would start to effectively die off, and they were probably weak. Then your second test was a "fresher batch" if you will, and that means that while they would be new and fast, it might have meant that a lot of them had not had time to "develop" into full maturity. The life of a sperm is an interesting thing, and can vary depending on a lot of factors. If I were you, here's what I would take away from this: Your sperm might not be totally ideal, but you've still got a good shot. You could test again, but if you take the *average* of your results, it seems that they move just fine, and after a few days, probably mature just fine too. But your "batches" might be a little hit and miss depending on the cell growth for that day.

My personal conclusion there isn't scientific, mind you, but I think you should feel at ease that things are mostly normal for you. Has your girlfriend had any tests done? Sorry if you said before and I missed that.

I had doctors appointment to discuss results.

He was very friendly and said that the problem with sperm tests is that they can fluctuate massively from one test to the next, as my results demonstrated. He added that he was often frustrated that men were not properly briefed before being tested, leading to significant stress and anxiety when they get unexpected results. Certainly true in my case and I'm sure many others.

He said based on my latest results he wouldn't suggest any more tests and just to keep trying.

I'm going to make some lifestyle changes anyway, but maybe things aren't as dire as I first feared.

Tex, thank you for your advice and here's hoping your mobility will soon be as good as your count.

Hi y'all

I thought I'd give an update. I got one more analysis done and all the numbers were in the normal range again except motility was just under 1%. This was after a strict diet / no alcohol or tobacco, all the vitamins that are supposed to help, as well as being prescribed clomid (as a man it can help with the numbers).

As an additional update my wife and are moving forward with IVF / ICSI for a specific reason other than my infertility issues. I have polycistic kidney disease, and when we were talking to the Doctor about our options he mentioned they can do genetic testing on the embryos to ensure my kids won't inherit the disease, so that is the route we are going to go anyway. Part of me feels like the motility issue has been a blessing in disguise, as it has ensured that I will be the last member of my family to have to deal with this disease.

Looks like I'll be moving my posts over to the IVF forum now - best of luck to all of you!

-BigTex

MrM, Don't get discouraged...I have a close friend that tried for 4 years before they got pregnant and there was nothing wrong with the woman's eggs (she got tests done to be sure)...he was told it was him but didn't get sperm tested, as they pretty much assumed it was him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->