Fetal Pole Found at 9 weeks, NOTHING found a week later??!

Diana3

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I wonder if this happened to anyone else. At my first vaginal u/s at around 7 weeks, a yolk and sac could be seen but everything was very small so I was told to come back 2 weeks later. At the 9 week appointment, there was definitely growth and the fetal pole was measuring 4.2 mm or about 6.1 weeks but they couldn't detect a heartbeat. Went back a week later and now the doctor found nothing at all on the vaginal u/s!!! Is that even possible?? I am in shock. They told me I will miscarry and gave me the usual 3 options. I had one miscarriage before with my first pregnancy and had a D & C at about 8 weeks. The embryo never developed past 5 weeks but everything was still there and visible on the u/s, just that it didn't grow. But is it possible for everything to just disappear? After it was measuring a bit over 6 weeks just a week earlier? This is a new practice I'm going to, and somehow I didn't like them from the start. Should I get a second opinion?

yes if you can for peace of mind get a second opinion. have you bled at all? I have heard of the body reabsorbing content but I think it's quite rare.

yes if you can for peace of mind get a second opinion. have you bled at all? I have heard of the body reabsorbing content but I think it's quite rare.

Thank you. No, no bleeding, spotting, cramping, or any other strange symptoms at all. That's why I'm so stunned that there was nothing showing on the transvaginal u/s. The doctor didn't look that long, but still. The previous week they even gave me a printout and it was very clear, and this week nothing was showing, not even a sac.

I would get a second opinion before making any decisions. Plus, if you don't like your doctor's office, it may be best to find someone you're more comfortable with. Trusting / liking your doctor is really important. I'm sorry you're having to worry about this. Thinking of you and please keep us posted :hugs:

I'd get a second opinion, yes. Your body has probably reabsorbed it, but if you're going to go through this experience, please find a new practitioner you're comfortable without so you know you're making all the right decisions.

Same happened with one of my twins, there was a baby and heartbeat and 5 days late it had been reabsorbed. I didn't have any bleeding,
I'm sorry for your loss x

I would get a second opinion as well for peace of mind. Lora is right that sometimes early pregnancies can be reabsorbed on their own. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Thank you all so much! I'm going to see another doctor next week. It's just all so bizarre to me. If this is the case and the baby somehow got reabsorbed, am I still going to bleed eventually? Silly question I'm sure, but I still have zero symptoms.

Same happened with one of my twins, there was a baby and heartbeat and 5 days late it had been reabsorbed. I didn't have any bleeding,
I'm sorry for your loss x

Thank you and I'm so sorry for your loss too. May I ask how long it took before you actually had any bleeding with the miscarriage? The waiting is so horrible. I got pregnant at the end of the cycle, only a few days before my expected period, but if you count from my last period I'm already 12 weeks. The thought I could be entering my second trimester but I'm in this situation instead is so painful to me.

I don't understand if there's nothing there why are the suggesting the (3) options?

I don't understand if there's nothing there why are the suggesting the (3) options?

Oh believe me, I am SO confused. Only a week before this u/s another dr from the same practice found a perfectly shaped yolk sac and a fetal pole measuring 4.2 mm, but no heartbeat. A week later this other dr did the u/s on the same machine and all I could see on the screen was a large black hole. He didn't even describe to me what he was seeing just told me it didn't look good. He said if there's no life, the baby has shrunk. That's exactly what he said. He also did an internal exam and said my cervix has started to open already, and asked me if I had any bleeding or spotting or cramping. I had none. He told me it could start at any moment but so far nothing. He even offered the D&С on that same day, but I just couldn't do it. I'll see what the other doctor from a different practice tells me next week. The waiting has been a nightmare.

waiting is absolutely the worst part x

Im no expert, but if the doc saw a large black hole on the second scan that does sound like a gestational sac. As you saw the fetal pole the week before, it should have been bigger and visible. Make sure you have all your answers before you leave your appt next week -- they need to explain to you what's happening. I hope you get some answers :hugs:

Thank you again to everyone who responded. I saw the new doctor and even though he also told me the pregnancy is not viable, at least he could explain much more to me. He did find the fetal pole on the u/s measuring 6 weeks 1 day, just like on the scan 2 weeks ago, and the sac started to lose its shape. He also said he saw a lot of tissue so he didn't recommend taking misoprostol to speed up the miscarriage. He said I can either wait and let it happen naturally, but there might be heavy bleeding and pain given the amount of tissue or do the D & C. The only thing is that the D & C had to be done under general anesthesia and I also read it can potentially lead to scarring or cervical insufficiency. I already had one D & C for a missed miscarriage a few years ago. After that I had a successful pregnancy and my wonderful daughter. I don't know what to decide. I'm scared of pain and blood and gore but also concerned about the risks of another D & C.

:hugs: so sorry, Diana. I can't give any advice on D&C vs natural but just wanted to give you a virtual hug :hugs:

Hun I just miscarried, well still am. Baby heartbeat stopped on Friday. It shrinked​ overnight. I'm still passing everything. Very sorry I know the feeling. Are you going to try again?

Ultrasound yesterday showed everything was pretty much gone, I'm doing it naturally. Well my body actually decided for me. Doc says if I'm still bleeding after two weeks , cramping or have a positive pregnancy test, then she will have to do d/c

I'm so sorry. The real risks of damage with dnc are second tri and beyond. I have had 3 of them and, while I will admit the last one took some time to recover from, I haven't had any lasting scarring or damage. There has not been any additional risks with my current pregnancy. So if that's the route you choose to take, there is still hope. I'm surprised he was so glib about it. My gyns have always told me first tri dncs are perfectly safe and will not impact further fertility or pregnancy l

Hun I just miscarried, well still am. Baby heartbeat stopped on Friday. It shrinked​ overnight. I'm still passing everything. Very sorry I know the feeling. Are you going to try again?

Ultrasound yesterday showed everything was pretty much gone, I'm doing it naturally. Well my body actually decided for me. Doc says if I'm still bleeding after two weeks , cramping or have a positive pregnancy test, then she will have to do d/c

I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you. I actually started spotting a bit yesterday and today but no cramps yet. How far along were you? I'm about 11-12 weeks at this point, but the baby stopped developing at 6 weeks 1 day. But the dr still said there's a lot of tissue there because the placenta and lining were growing. Did you spot at all prior to the major bleeding? I have no idea what to expect but reading natural miscarriage stories online pretty much scared the hell out of me. On top of that, I am home alone with my not even 2-year-old daughter for a few days because my husband is away for work so I'm terrified of anything major happening right now. Are you taking any painkillers? Sending virtual hugs and hope you can heal from this as quickly as possible. Yes, I'm thinking of trying one more time but right now I just want this process over with.

I'm so sorry. The real risks of damage with dnc are second tri and beyond. I have had 3 of them and, while I will admit the last one took some time to recover from, I haven't had any lasting scarring or damage. There has not been any additional risks with my current pregnancy. So if that's the route you choose to take, there is still hope. I'm surprised he was so glib about it. My gyns have always told me first tri dncs are perfectly safe and will not impact further fertility or pregnancy l

Thank you. I'm so sorry for your losses as well. Well, the new doctor actually told me the risk of cervix insufficiency from the D&C after a missed miscarriage is very low. It could be more of a risk after repeated abortions he said. I was reading too much on the internet of course. It's good to know that you had no complications. I'm considering having the D&C done this weekend unless the natural miscarriage happens before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->