Finally I seen a midwife - carbon monoxide breath test anyone?

Aneesa_09

Reaction score
Hey you may of read my last threads about my lack of antenatal contact. Well I had my booking appointment today and I have been given an approximate due date of 14 April 2015. May change a few days at ultrasound as I don't remember the actual date of my last period.

This is my fourth baby my youngest being one so it doesn't feel that long ago I was at the antenatal clinic, this time I was offered a carbon monoxide test.

I blew a 6, did not really know what it meant and carried on with the convo ... Midwife asked do I smoke? no I don't, does OH? No he doesn't... Do I have a gas fire? No I don't.... Do you exercise outside lots.... No not really I know I should start.

I got home and read a leaflet she have me which basically explained that blowing a 4+ is worrying. Now I'm left thinking why did I blow a 6 :-S

Midwife didn't seem worried, but I was wondering has anyone else blown above 4?

What were your numbers?

As a previous smoker I have done this test many times when trying to quit, to be honest I would never think a score of a 6 would suggest your a smoker..mine was always much much more.

It could of been anything or anyone, you may have been stood next to someone smoking without noticing or even sat in traffic with windows down, I notice now I've quit but I bet I wouldn't of noticed before and not thought anything of it.

I found this on an information leaflet thought it's quite reassuring..:

X

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10
By the way I think I blew a 3 even though I hadn't smoked in over 6 months and hadn't been with any smokers. Don't think I've ever gone below a 3...
X

I don't smoke, noone in my family does and I view a 3.

My midwife said it wasn't a concern unless over 5.. Maybe ask next time?

I blew a 3 last week never smoked but my partner does but only outside and so does my mother and r all band from smoking around me.

It could be possible that weak breaths can cause a higher reading. I was short of breath when I had mine done, and after the midwife scrutinising the test and in the middle of saying I'd have to do it again it settled at the lowest point.

Honestly it took me by surprise that a test was even done, since there was nothing like it when I had DS. I haven't smoked for 8 years, Hubby even longer at 12 years. Neither one of us even like being around smokers any more, unless we really have to be which is rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->