finding out gender?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by whiby, Oct 28, 2008.

1. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

hi ladies
    i have my 12 weeks scan tomorrow, and Hubby and I dont know whether to ask about the gender or not. We both swing from saying yes, let's be practical (and just coz we are impatient!) and saying no, let's keep it a surprise, and we change our minds all the time.

What would you ladies recommend re: finding out? does it ruin the surprise? Does it really help with planning / buying things etc?

thanks!
    x

2. shinona

shinona Well-Known Member

I thought you couldn't find out until 20 weeks at least as it's too hard to tell earlier. But I might be wrong.

Personally, I don't want to find out and will wait for the surprise.

3. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

They wont be able to tell u at this scan xxx so gives u a little more time to decide wether u want to find out or not xxx

4. Brockie

Brockie Well-Known Member

yeah they wont be able to tell you at that scan hon, 16 weeks is earliest i think xx i think its nice not knowing but its personal choice xx

5. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

oh cool, then we won't worry about it yet! thanks ladies!

6. mummymadness

mummymadness Mummy to 4

Good luck deciding in a few weeks time . x .

7. Cariad_bach

Cariad_bach mum to 2 boys and 2 girls

I will deffo want to find out at my 20 week scan but like Brockie said its personal choice.

Hope your scan goes well hun xxxxx

8. Gemma Lou

Gemma Lou Well-Known Member

I have two different thoughts on finding out....
    If you do find out then you can shop for the correct gender and prepare everything in the way that you would like to.....
    however...
    My own personal opinion is that if you don't know, it would help you that little bit through labour with the excitement of not knowing what you are having. It also makes it nicer to tell people.......she has had a little girl/boy......rather than "its here".

Each to their own though, it is personal choice at the end of the day. My best freind said all the same things as me, and now 3 weeks away from her 20 week scan she has decided she wants to find out what she is having!

Whatever you decide, it has to be your decision, nobody can sway you either way!

Good Luck with your decision making! x

9. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Mum of 2

I think its a very personal decision. I found out with my dd as we both wanted too. With ds i wasn't sure but dh wanted to know and talked me into it. This time round i want a surprise, dh wants to know again. As he will probably not be here for the 20 wk scan hes got no chance of talking me round again mwahaha! And he can't say its best to know for practical reasons like last time, we already have all the girl and boy stuff ;)

10. susanp

susanp Guest

I think it is good to find out the gender so you can be more prepared. I am definitey going to find out.

11. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

We found out with DD and we're finding out with this one. If it's a boy...I gotta go buy clothes. If not, all I need is a changing table, dresser and um....that's about it!

12. amyblackstone

amyblackstone Hubby, son n me

Like everyone said, it is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong. In my case, this will be our first baby. DH is very strongly against finding out, and I am leaning towards wanting to know. But I don't want to ruin it for DH so we probably won't find out anyway! :) And I guess it will make labor more exciting when we don't know and it will be a surprise. :)

13. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

thanks for all your comments ladies. Had the scan today, the sonographer confirmed that they won't be able to tell until about 20 weeks, so that gives us a bit more time to think about it! scan today went well i think, they put me at 11+4, but i have to go back on tuesday as they couldnt get a clear enough picture today to do the NT scan. i don't mind having another one though!

https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb153/angela_wales/babyoverment47cm291008.jpg?t=1225293682

14. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

We'll be finding out at our 20week scan because I want to be able to mentally prepare and decorate the nursery etc.