First appointment and ultrasound - what to expect?

KahluaCupcake

Achievement Unlocked: PG
Reaction score
I'm going to have my first appointment on Friday...just four days away!! I'm extremely excited.
I assume that I'll get the lowdown on what to do and not to do, asked for medication list, told to take prenatals (been taking since the beginning of the year ;) ), etc.
And that the transvaginal ultrasound will show where the embryo has implanted (making sure it's not ectopic) and...will I hear the heartbeat?

I'm not sure exactly what to expect. What did your first appointment and ultrasound entail?

......how come "oh my gosh I'm farting so much" threads get a million responses, but serious questions seem to get overlooked? >.<
sometimes I feel like I'm on yahoo answers.

To be honest chick, i think it varies from each hospital. I didnt get to hear the HB at 6+1 when i have a transvaginal scan i justsaw the sack on a screen with a tiny flickering which was the heart x

A lot of women are in the UK and their appts are different from ours. My first dr appt was at about 7+5. They did an u/s where I saw baby & hb. At 5+4, you may not see much, but they should be able to say how far along you are by seeing gestational sac. They will also ask about your medical history and may give you a pap if it's been over a year. Let you ask questions and prescribe you prenatals if you aren't on them already. Also my dr took a ton of blood to run tests. It might be different with your dr office, hope this helps.

Hunni... I'm sorry but I don't know how the maternity system works in the US... But I think the farting problem is universal so I felt more qualified to answer that one ^_^

good luck though!!! I hope it goes well :)

My first appointment (going back to being pregnant with#2) was a good chat going over do's and don'ts, family history, previous pregnancy/birth.
Think they book in for bloods to be taken and then 1st scan is at 12weeks (appointment usually around 8wks)
Though everywhere varies and I'm only speaking from my personal experience in the uk.
I'm not sure you'll heart a heartbeat or not, think it could possibly be too early. Some MW wont try and find it so not to cause worry.

I hope all goes well, remember to ask any questions you can think of.

I've just spoken to my midwife (aha!! I have a midwife!!) and she has said they won't want to see me until 8 weeks ... feels like a decade away! We don;t have scans until about 12 weeks over here to my knowledge (which is limited!)x

Oh goodness! I'd die for that wait!
And thank you ladies!!
Haha...I think I was just getting grumpy. (Imagine a pregnant chick being grumpy!! ;) ) No hate for humorous threads, it's just that I /have/ noticed, not only with myself, that a lot of the more serious or even casual questions go unanswered. Yet when someone comes over with an, "omgggggg I had sexx n I mite be prego n I'm 16 n scarrered" they seem to get more responses. Amazing ;)

I'm in the same boat. Very curious what to expect at my 8 week appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->