First Appointment with Midwife...what to expect?

Michelle033

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had some questions about what to expect at a first appointment with a midwife. I called today and got an appointment for this Thursday. I wasn't expecting to get one so soon. I will be exactly 5 weeks then. This is my first pregnancy so Im just curious as to what they usually do, what to expect...etc...

Also being the crazy lady that I am, after I made the appointment, I ran and took my last Clearblue Digital to make sure I'm still pregnant lol! I was saving it for when I got to the 5 week mark, but since I have a dr. appointment I thought why not lol!

I had mine at 8 weeks, its a lot of form filling about previous pregnancys, past history etc. Had weight and height checked, thought id have bloods done but that was at the hospital today. Got lots of forms and notes given too to read through. She gave me lots of advice too, what to eat, what not to, what to take vitamin wise etc xx

Hi :) First of all, congratulations! I had my booking in appointment at home with the midwife a couple of weeks ago at 10 weeks 2 days, I don't think it matters having an appointment so early, to be honest the earlier the better! All my midwife did was to fill out all the information in my antenatal folder, which took quite a while, asked all sorts of questions about everything (baby, partner/husband, other children in the family) and things like a discussion on where you would like to give birth (not set in stone, but again probably best to have an idea nice and early), to be honest information wise there was a lot in one go, but they give you written information so you can have a read afterwards. I would say it's just a nice time to get to know your midwife and to ask any questions you may have that may be worrying you and to make sure your having the correct vitamins, folic acid, etc. x

My first appointment was last Friday - Medical history, if I'd been pregnant before, age, height and weight, told me to take folic acid (which I do already), lots of forms and appointments made for bloods and scan, which I had yesterday and today. That was it, really. It may have been more intensive had we spoken the same language. :dohh:

I had mine at 7 weeks due to previous mc's. Its normally done around 10 weeks here. It took 90 minutes & they go through all your family history, any previous pregnancies, risks from foods etc. They did my height & weight & then worked out my bmi which was fine. Blood pressure & blood test. Think that was it. They discussed screening & flu jabs too xx

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with me! My first appointment is tomorrow and I am so excited/scared/nervous lol! Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->