First Appt at Fertility Clinic

Peggy80

Reaction score
We have been Ttc #2 since July 2013. It took us 8 months to get a bfp for DS.

We have been referred to a fertility clinic by the gp after having a couple of blood tests that came back normal. I had one at beginning of cycle and then the 21 day one, not sure what they are called.

I was just wondering what to expect and if there is anything that I really need to ask?

Also I had an early miscarriage in November just after we got referred, do you think they will still do any tests for us now I've had the miscarriage, or should I not mention it?

It depends on the MC if you were 8 or 9 weeks I'd maybe mention it but if it was more of a chemical less than 6 weeks I'd maybe not mention it incase they decide to leave you trying naturally on your own a bit longer.

However my first appointment was weight and height (they are looking for BMI of less than 30) I think they did DH too, blood tests for us both including HIV for the safety of the lab staff. Blood pressure and general diet / lifestyle advice etc.

I'm assuming you are NHS ask what they will / won't fund for you. And what they're waiting list is like. That way you can make an informed decision if you want to wait or go private.
I'm fortunate that I am getting a reasonable amount of help from the NHS at it has been well worth me waiting on it.

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes it was very early, only knew I was pg for 2 days before I started bleeding,so only 4/5 weeks. Was one of the few cycles where I wasn't charting or using opk's so I had no idea when I o'd! Typical hay! My cycles are fairly irregular which I think is part of the problem.

We are having to go private, gp said there would be no funding as we already have DS, only did the blood tests and that was it I was hoping for some more tests but nevermind.

When you say irregular do you mean varying by more than a few days do you suspect PCOS?

I have wondered about pcos, although I'm not overweight which is quite common with that isn't it?

My cycles can be anywhere between 29 and 42 days, although the past 6 months they have been more 35 to 42.

I was also on the clearblue trial where we used the dual hormone OPKs and with those for each of the 3 cycles I would get two lots of peaks, which was very frustrating as thought I had o'd for the month and then would realise that I hadn't but by then it was too late. I think this is our main problem, we run out of steam trying to DTD as the window for when I might be fertile is quite long.

Weight is common but not all PCOS ladies are overweight. One of my friends is PCOS and before she eventually conceived her son she was lucky if she was a uk 10.

I should also warn on my first appointment I also had an internal ultrasound. That is generally where PCOS is diagnosed. The first one is a bit mmmmm but beyond that it becomes normal. I've lost count of the number I've had.

Ok thanks, I was thinking I should be prepared in case they did an us or something.
Appt is tomorrow so will have to wait and see.

Well not a lot happened really, asked about health and cycles, took weight and height measurements. Said 18 months wasn't really that long to have been trying.

He is repeating the 21 day blood tests for me to check I'm ovulating and DH is booked in to give a sample.

He said would prob be a case of giving me some drugs to regulate my cycles and go from there.

So got first blood test tomorrow and got to go back every week til I get my period so we are covered for when I ovulate.
Seems a bit pointless gong tomorrow as I know I've not o'd yet but hey.

Hi, I have been ttc baby 2 for 18 months and not long seen the fertility clinic on the nhs. They have sent me for bloods on cd 3 and cd 21 I have got a transvaginal ultrasound booked on the 15th March and I hafmg a HSG yesterday which showed my tubes were clear although one was slow to spill. I wonder if I have pcos as I too. Was on the clear blue trial and would get more then one peak in a month!! Has your Dr said anything about having a HSG?

Hi
No hsg hasn't been mentioned, nor an ultrasound! I think it's because I've already had Thomas he thinks everything is ok. Think I will ask about it at the next appt as something must have changed!

Next appt is on Wednesday so not long go.

Good luck with your tests and ultrasound!

You don't have long to wait between appointments then, I had my 1st appointment in feb and my second appointment is in June. Fingers crossed you will get some more answers or tests after this appointment. I already have a child as well everyone should be offered the same tests I think. Good luck

Thanks, yes I thought we would get offered more on the NHS, but my GP thought that any testing they did would probably get repeated anyway so she only did the blood tests and then referred us for private. And looks like she was right as i've had the blood tests repeated lol

Seems like forever since our first appointment but not too bad if you are having to wait until June! Good luck to you too!

Well had our follow up appt today and it wasn't good.
I'm not ovulating very well, which we knew anyway, and DH's swimmers are rubbish too.

So it's looking like Thomas is a bit of a fluke!

Consultant said our only chance would be IVF with ICSI. But we're not making any decisions yet. Going to do a bit of reading up and so on, plus DH has a busy summer this year so we've agreed to wait 6 months and then see how we feel about it.

:cry:

I was convinced it was just me and he'd prescribe clomid. But no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->