First Appt.

ForbearingLuv

Reaction score
I Am 4 weeks and 3 days along and my husband called and made our first doc appt for tomorrow and I find myself feeling very nervous just because I don't know what to expect.

Will I have to take a pregnancy test? ofc probably - Yes!

Will I have a vaginal ultra sound done at 4 weeks?!?
I've read that right now they could possibly see the little gestational sac at this far.
I say I am 4 weeks and three days because every site I plug my dates into say that, even tho my pregnancy test came back 1-2 weeks, But! I Know it all goes off some rule and what not so I will agree to the 4 weeks 3 days :)

Just wondering if any already mothers can give me a run down on what happened your first appt after a + test.

Also is it likely I will get a script for a behind the counter prenatal?

I believe they have higher folic acid and would much rather have those instead of my otc ones.

Anyways!!! Any answers will calm me down till the morning...
so nervous!!!

They might be able to see a sac, they will more than likely do blood work to see what your HCG level is.

What they did to me in the US was bloodwork, pap smear, and a talk about differetn things related to the pregnancy, birth plans, and background.

Good luck! Tomorrow is my 1st U/s, but not yet first appt with OB.

Congrats!! I'm assuming you're in the states, if you're not, then disregard what I say,lol. First appt they usually do a pg test, and discuss things like lmp, any symptoms, and general health. They won't usually do an u/s this early, but that definitely depends on the dr. Some seem to be willing to do one often, some not. My OB doesn't do hcg levels unless there is a suspected mc, and even then not always. Some Drs do it routinely though.

Pregnancy weeks is based off of your lmp( last menstrual period) so, technically you are 2 weeks pg at conception. So, if you are 4wks pg, that means you ovulated 2 wks ago. Sometimes ( more common with midwives) Drs will go off of ovulation date, but only if you are absolutely certain.
You might have to request a script for prenatal a if that's what you want. I can't take them, so I take a high quality dly vit, along with additional b 12 ( folate) vit c, fish oil, and a probiotic.

The first appt is usually very routine, and a bit anti-climatic, lol. Congrats again! H &H 9 months!!

Congrats to you!

My first appointment was just blood work. The nurse then called and followed up with what medicines I was taking. This is with my RE though so she had all of my health information already.
I didn't have a scan until 5w5d because of spotting. My RE doesn't like to do scans before 6 weeks unless there are concerns because of the likelihood of not seeing anything.
I also wasn't prescribed prenatals. She just made sure I was taking one.
B complex also has folic acid in it so she didn't seem concerned with me taking more.

With my first pregnancy I went in at 4 weeks. We thought I was further along so the scan was a bit of a shock but they assured us all was fine. I was also unaware of transvaginal u/s so that was a bit of a shock too!! They also did a pregnancy test. I wasn't prescribed anything.
I'm going in to see an OB tomorrow and will be getting a scan. I think I'm between 4 and 5 weeks but not quite sure. I also want a recommendation for vitamins so I can stock up to take back with me.

I was at a midwife office in the Chicago area - so maybe not the typical US experience? They don't do first appointments til 8-9 weeks. They took medical history, family history for both of us, height, weight, blood pressure, urine, and all my blood :p I don't remember everything they said they were testing for, but I know STDs, immunity to an assortment of diseases (rubella, chicken pox, etc), and vitamin D level were in there. Urine test was for infections and sugar levels, I think? She tried the doppler with a warning that 9 weeks was early to hear anything (I really really doubt they'd try at less than 5 weeks). When we couldn't hear anything, she offered to send me for an ultrasound, which I took her up on. Since I'm past due for a pap, she wanted to do one but didn't have time, so we scheduled that in for the next appointment. We also discussed the philosophy of the office, the different first trimester screening options, and their requirements in terms of childbirth classes and so on. It was pretty easy, mostly talking.

Thank everyone!
Everything went great!
I got lots of blood work done and got me a script and some samples. I go back for an ultrasound next month :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->