First contraction - what does it feel like?

Palestrina

Reaction score
Now that I'm getting close to due date I'm on the look out for the first contraction. I'm dying to know what it's going to feel like, and if I'm going to recognize it at all! Where does it hit? What does it feel like? Is it painful or just uncomfortable. Will I "know" that I'm going into labour?

I'm sure these are silly questions but I'm on edge!

I'm certain everyone is different but when I had my first contractions with my last pregnancy I was at a restaurant having dinner and they were very mild to start. I just thought they might be Braxton Hicks since I had never experienced them. It wasn't until they started to get a little stronger and were only a few minutes apart that I realized they were contractions. Once they really kicked in a few hours later there was no mistaking them though lol.

My midwife told me today that I will not mistake them with anything else. She said I won't be able to speak when they'll appear... :wacko:

I have period like pains on and off today but she said they are not contractions :shrug:

I've also been wondering this as i've only got 6 days left.....a single pain and I'm like 'oh is this the start?' lol

My midwife told me today that I will not mistake them with anything else. She said I won't be able to speak when they'll appear... :wacko:

I have period like pains on and off today but she said they are not contractions :shrug:

Oh, my birthing coach said that for the first part of labour it's not so much painful, it's more uncomfortable than anything. I was told that not being able to speak is a sign of active labour, not early labour.

I laboured completely in my back, couldn't feel the contractions in the bump so it started with back ache and the only way I could describe how it felt was like someone had their arm up my arse and were squeezing my spine!

I didn't realise I was in labour for days... 4 days of slow labour :dohh: but when you go into active labour, boy will you know!

Good luck ladies!

Emmy1987 - How did you feel during your slow labour? What was the pain like the few days before?

I have had very strong tightenings (sometimes painful) and pain under bump. They come in a pattern, like very every 10-12 mins and lasting couple hours at a time, but then disappear. This has been going on for a week. Driving me nuts!!

I did know straight away that labour had started. I woke in the night and had to er, go to the loo. It was The Clearout!! Then the pains started and though I had a back labour, I knew they were contractions. They were every 20 mins at first and I was calm and had a bath.

Good luck! xx

its different for everybody..and different each pregnancy...when people said to me "you will just know when you go into labour" i was like but how?? but seriously you really do just know :)

i'm in the same boat. people keep saying i will know the difference btwn contractions and BH. I've been having BH for weeks now. when does "active labor" actually begin?

i'm in the same boat. people keep saying i will know the difference btwn contractions and BH. I've been having BH for weeks now. when does "active labor" actually begin?

I think with active labour is when it actually hurts a lot and you can't talk through the contraction. At this point contractions are 5 minutes apart.

I worry about this too. I keep waiting for BH contractions to pop up, and I'm like 'was that it, or do I have to fart?' :haha:

I think with actual labor you just have to wait for them to get closer together to know its for real. I'm excited! :thumbup:

I worry about this too. I keep waiting for BH contractions to pop up, and I'm like 'was that it, or do I have to fart?' :haha:

I think with actual labor you just have to wait for them to get closer together to know its for real. I'm excited! :thumbup:

lol i keep getting contractions n painful gas pains confused to!!!

" is this a contraction or do I just have bad gas right now!?!?"
then you fart n your like DAMM IT

It is easy to get gas and early cramps confused! LOL Early labor you normally feel crampy in your stomach off and on but still manageable in pain. You can normally do your typicall daily routines while having these, and they will gradually make a pattern. When you're in active labor, you will definatly know...meaning they get more painfull/intense and you'll find yourself moving around trying to get comfy to escape the uncomfortbleness. The more intense the less you can talk through them and there's just no question on if you're in labor or not at that point!

THis made me laugh. I'm the same. Keep thinking things are getting started but it's actually just trapped wind. So annoying!!

It felt nothing like my BH, started more like an uncomfortable period pain....but I was 5cm dilated and contracting 4 in 10 before I realised I was really in labour. :blush:

made me chuckle - this happened to me earlier lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583