First cup - Really????

mummy2jack

Reaction score
Ok i was recommended a cup on here for my 4 month old. Its a tomme tippee one. My firend was in Asda so i asked her to look to see if they had any n and to pick me one up. The one she brought back wasn't the one i wanted but to be fair i jus said to her suitable from 4 months. The one she brought is tomme tippee - suitable from 4 months but it free flows, therefore when i give it to my lo he tips it upside down and gets drenched!!! What it the point? How are you meant to teach them when everytime you tip it in the right direction it all comes out?! Am i being thick??
I have since gone and got the one i wanted which is great, it has sensitive technology or something so when it touches his lips, it releases the water but just really really wanna know what the point of the first cup which is free flow?
Hope i haven't bored you, thanks if you got this far!! xx

Ooh which one did you get? All the ones I've got either end up going everywhere I got a non spill one and I'm not convinced he's getting anything out of apart from the enjoyment of chewing.

Do you mean the TT one that comes in red / blue / green / orange and has a spout that you usually pull up with a hole in it and no valve?
If so, we have used them on both of our two, my son managed fine from 5mths and my daughter has been happy swigging from 4.5mths on it (double handled one?)
Neither of them have got on with the non spill valves some of them are so tough to get anything out even I had a try, spent a fortune buying cups with my first like bottles with my second.

Which one did you get in the end it sounds good? I got a very basic tommee tippee free flow one from the baby event and ive just been letting LO hold the handles which he likes and kinda guiding it to his mouth, also only putting a very little amount of water in so if/ when he does tip it he doesnt get AS drenched lol, but still enough water for him to have some. x

Do you mean the TT one that comes in red / blue / green / orange and has a spout that you usually pull up with a hole in it and no valve?
If so, we have used them on both of our two, my son managed fine from 5mths and my daughter has been happy swigging from 4.5mths on it (double handled one?)
Neither of them have got on with the non spill valves some of them are so tough to get anything out even I had a try, spent a fortune buying cups with my first like bottles with my second.

^^WSS

I also used it for my 3 older ones and have just got another for LO! I (personally) love it as yes, they do get wet a couple of times, but a bit of persistence & patience and it really pays off! xx

God knows, does sound absolutely useless though :dohh: I'm off to asda today to pick up some bargains! x

the one i got was

https://www.safetots.co.uk/Baby-Fee...t_info.html?osCsid=67huf948hbh8tuiglvhghrljl3

The one i am puzzled with is

https://www.babydaysdirect.co.uk/pr...um=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1

Ok, i suppose i get that if lo gets a bit wet, he might figure out not to tip it up but surely there are better ways of teaching. You wouldn't say..... the iron is hot so dont touch, but if he touches it a few times he'll learn not to!! :rofl: (hypothetical)

nuby bottles are great...hard to find but good. You can get them from boots. Dont spill x

I agree, nuby are amazin, wish i found them sooner

I found the Nuby one too difficult for LO to suck. I love the Tommee Tippee one you are talking about. LOs can be taught to use cups without any spouts from a young age, so I quite like that it is free flow as this mimics what they will have to learn to use a proper cup.

the one i got was

https://www.safetots.co.uk/Baby-Fee...t_info.html?osCsid=67huf948hbh8tuiglvhghrljl3

The one i am puzzled with is

https://www.babydaysdirect.co.uk/pr...um=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1

Ok, i suppose i get that if lo gets a bit wet, he might figure out not to tip it up but surely there are better ways of teaching. You wouldn't say..... the iron is hot so dont touch, but if he touches it a few times he'll learn not to!! :rofl: (hypothetical)

We have both of these and i actually prefer the one that confuses you! Just fold the spout down when they are not drinking from it. I find he can actually drink from this one but with the other not much came out. Nathan is older though so i don't know if that makes a difference.

the HV told me a one that drips freely is best, as one that your LO needs to suck to get a drink can cause problems with tooth placement.
Hope this helps

the HV told me a one that drips freely is best, as one that your LO needs to suck to get a drink can cause problems with tooth placement.
Hope this helps

I got told that too and the one that you got first we were given by the hv, yes it goes everywhere at first, but I guess they will learn as they will with food :shrug: Jess has got it in her mouth a few times but we aren't quite there yet

Hope this helps

I got told that too and the one that you got first we were given by the hv, yes it goes everywhere at first, but I guess they will learn as they will with food :shrug: Jess has got it in her mouth a few times but we aren't quite there yet

This was one of the reasons we bought this cup for my 1st DD 9 years ago! It is also a great cup as once they no longer need the spout you can use the cup without the lid! xx

my LO loves her Nuby one and has drank water from it with no problems since she was 4 months old :) xx

All the advice I've heard has been to use the free-flowing kind as it teaches babies how to regulate the amount they take in their mouth in one go before swallowing, whereas bottles require a constant sucking action and can also cause problems for teeth.

My HV gave me a Doidy cup today and said LO can go straight onto using that as a first cup. Now THAT'S going to be a real mess!

My HV and dentist advised to use the free flowing cups. My son gets on fine with it xx

i get that from maybe 6 months - but 4 months is a bit early to be weaning as it is, i was very surprised when i got it home. Jack was too when it went all over him!! rofl

he seems to like the one i am using anyway so will stick to that - i think he still has to control how much gets in his mouth before he swallows, but if he moves it away from his mouth the water doesn;t come out anymore

We have the one that confuses you :D I started giving it to Maya when she was around 4 months and she took to it straight away. She has other cups as well now but definitely prefers that one.

ok......i will try it again later if its whats best for him, i only tried it once and then wrote it off cos it just went all over his head so i thought it was crap and went and got the one i originally wanted. he is quite good at getting things to his mouth, so we'll hae another go. I could always put a shower cap on him! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->