First day back to work/ pumping SUPER awkward

Missy08

Reaction score
So today is my first day back to work...Still trying to get over dropping my LO off at daycare this morning :cry: I just pumped for the first time and it was SUPER awkward. For starters I work in a small office and don't have my own office so I have to ask someone to borrow theirs while I pump. Plus it's an office full of men and all the offices have windows to the outside and some do not have blinds to cover them. I'm pretty determined to keep breastfeeding/pumping but this is super awkward...hope it gets easier!

I'd love to hear any suggestions or any of your ladies' stories!

Aww, I know what a pain it is to go back to work and have to deal with the pump situation on TOP of also dealing with separation from your newborn... its hard! Last time, with my first, I had issues with the pump room because it's also a fax and meeting room. So I worked it out with my boss and now they have a sign up saying its closed at 9, 12, 3 and also blocked off those hours every day on the calendar on the door! Much better. No more door knocks. And I feel like maybe the bosses aren't annoyed with how much I pump since they were the ones asking to block off the time for me.. I used to worry they were timing me and I'd try to rush... not good for supply. And I now I also know it is imperative you don't skip ANY pump sessions EVER. If you want more info, ask! I am doing this for the second time and having much better luck this time! Last time, I had to supplement early on and it was downhill from there... didn't know that would make it worse. Oops!

Another option at my work is the front area of a bathroom... someone put up a curtain so its a little 'room'. That was fine for me... except couldn't use it when they were cleaning the bathroom... too distracting for me, always worried they were wanting me to leave! And another option I considered was a curtain in my cubicle! But I would not have felt comfortable with that the first time around... I am more open with nursing etc since this is my second baby I think.

Thanks Libbyam! Today and tomorrow my boss is actually out of the office so I've got a little room to get things figured out then when he comes back on Monday hopefully I'll have a pattern/times I can tell him about (like 10, 1, 4). I'm also a little worried he'll be annoyed with how often I have to do it but he'll just have to get over it I guess! There is another guy here in our office who offered to let me use his office (his is the only one without any windows), so I appreciate that but I hate to kick him out of his office 3x a day especially if he's busy... :shrug:

Wow, that is awkward, but I promise it gets better. I remember my first day back, I was sitting in an empty office with my back to the door, on eggshells basically hoping and praying nobody would come in. I was the only one pumping at my company so everyone was curious and like "What's she doing??"

The more time that goes on, the less you care. I didn't want ANYONE to know that I pumped at first. It's been almost a year that I've been pumping at work and I don't give a shit who knows now. :haha:

I understand how you feel.

My office when I went back was all glass. All offices were glass. All doors were glass (and not sealed). The kitchen and conference rooms were glass. The outside walls were glass. Basically everything but the bathroom and storage closet were glass. Even the file room was half glass (waist up). I got to pump in the shower room. yep, a tiny room with a shower and a little space for a tiny table and chair. It was either that, or the bathroom. It was a pain to walk back and forth, carrying my stuff, turn on the light (which had a vent fan) get half undress, pump (very noisy in there, uncomfortable chair, not relaxing) clean up, carry my pump and milk and pump parts back across the office to the kitchen....

Then I moved downstairs and I get a cubicle inside an office, and the other side is unoccupied. It's awesome. I have a door, and office....it's beautiful. Unfortunately I get an office mate soon and idk how they feel about my pumping. Since they provide me with a clean, separate place to pump, if my office mate is not cool with it I will have to go back to the shower room....BUT I think I will ask if I can do it in the network room. There is a tiny room (but bigger than the shower room) off the kitchen, not as clean, but it has a door and room for a chair and table and I can keep my table clean. I would have to share it with a bunch of wires and stuff, but no biggie. And it's right next to the kitchen and fridge! One can hope.

I was the only one pregnant in my office in the past 14 years, and definitely the only one pumping! It was odd. I didn't try and hide, but didn't advertise either. Then we hired some new people who both had to pump for their kids in the past, and they understood. It's nice. I pump my milk and pump parts in the fridge, and only one person has even hinted they aren't thrilled (they just said "you really need a mini fridge, don't you? then you won't have to put your milk in here", I just shrugged and said "I don't mind keeping it in here....")

If someone told me I needed a mini fridge, I would start quoting Tommy Boy "yeah! I could put candy bars, and 6 packs of....soda....anything I wanted to keep cold!" That's ridiculous. People at my work leave food in the fridge for WEEKS. I'd much rather see someone's breast milk than a 3 week old salad.

I'm concerned about this too. I work at Walmart and there is NOwhere to pump. Doors don't lock and they all have windows, the bathrooms don't have outlets, and the breakroom is super public. I'll have to discuss it with personnel if/when I go back.

If someone told me I needed a mini fridge, I would start quoting Tommy Boy "yeah! I could put candy bars, and 6 packs of....soda....anything I wanted to keep cold!" That's ridiculous. People at my work leave food in the fridge for WEEKS. I'd much rather see someone's breast milk than a 3 week old salad.

I'm concerned about this too. I work at Walmart and there is NOwhere to pump. Doors don't lock and they all have windows, the bathrooms don't have outlets, and the breakroom is super public. I'll have to discuss it with personnel if/when I go back.

I used to work at walmart. Walmart is a huge company, so federal law requires anywhere with 50+ employees to provide a place to pump.

Yeah, but my store doesnt have one. That's the problem. I'm afraid they're going to try to lock me in a maintenance closet or something. Our store is fairly new, so all the offices are open and glassed in. But we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Yeah, but my store doesnt have one. That's the problem. I'm afraid they're going to try to lock me in a maintenance closet or something. Our store is fairly new, so all the offices are open and glassed in. But we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

I would bring it up before you actually need it, so they have time to get something together BEFORE you are standing there with pump in hand :) (After you know you are coming back...)

Yeah its hard if there really just isn't a place. And very uncomfortable sometimes to bring it up. I've been impressed at how helpful bosses will be though. I wonder if its because they don't want to get in trouble, ha. I didn't pump enough this morning so needed to pump longer at lunch to try and help my supply... and I was thinking about how people HAD to be wondering why I was in there so long. Gah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->