First early scan - scared, please help

kittykitchn

Reaction score
I got my BFP a couple of weeks ago after TTC 18 months and about to go down the IUI/IVF route.

I had bleeding for three days and was referred for an early scan, which was this morning. Going by my LMP I'm 5+5, going by ovulation I'm 6 weeks today.

They found a sac, and the start of an embryo at 1mm. I believe this is too small for either dates. They said everything looked fine for the time frame, but I think they were just keeping me upbeat until the second scan next week.

I'm so, So scared. Everywhere online says this is far too small for the dates. Can someone please give me some honesty?

I thought that every mm the embryo measured was added on to 6 weeks? I was 7+2 at about 10mm, however there was a heartbeat so I'm not certain. FX x

I've read that - I've also read a lot of conflicting info.

For instance,
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...one-got-their-5-6-week-scan-measurements.html

I so hope that is the case. I'm in a absolute state

It could be fine. Depending on when the baby actually implanted your dates could vary by up to a week. I knew my ovulation date and we had only had sex once.that month and baby measured three days aheas of my date so i must have inplanted very early.

Are they sending you for a follow up scan in a week to see if theres growth? Hopfully they do and it provodes you with some peace of mind

It could be fine. Depending on when the baby actually implanted your dates could vary by up to a week. I knew my ovulation date and we had only had sex once.that month and baby measured three days aheas of my date so i must have inplanted very early.

Are they sending you for a follow up scan in a week to see if theres growth? Hopfully they do and it provodes you with some peace of mind

Yes, I have one in a week. I can't shake off that feeling they knew something was amiss and now are just waiting until they see me next week to give me bad news

Also don't worry too much - I had a scan at what I thought was about 6+5 based on LMP - no heartbeat they told me I was measuring 5 weeks. 8 days later I had a follow up scan and I was measuring 7+2 and baby had a heartbeat (and 7+2 was feasible, whereas 5 weeks was not based on when I got positive tests etc) - so things can change a lot early on with things growing at different rates. I think it's a lot more standardised later on x

I wish I had insight. Doctors tend to air on the side of caution when interpreting results because they are liable if something goes wrong when they said it won't. So in my experience if they say you are on track, you are on track. I do know they say the change and growth rate is so rapid and varies this early. Try not to stress hugs

Its so hard when everything is early because they can't tell much. But I hope everything works out for you!

I've contacted a few private scanning places, an they've replied with I should expect to see an embryo about 5mm, and 1mm is too small at this time.

I'm sorry Hun no advice, I've seen it go either way. Your next scan will tell you more but it's very possible to catch up xx

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. The baby is TINY at this point. Measurements can be off the early. With this baby I was freaking out because they said I was measuring 5 days smaller than I should have and I was positive about my dates. I felt like they were lying to me about the fact that the baby is fine. Well, low and behold... At 9 weeks baby had caught back up! Everything is great and I'm 13 weeks today. Also, don't listen to people telling you it's too small without them having done tour US. Does the gestational age match up to the size of the sac? That is one of the most important things.

Hope it's all gone ok

I wouldn't worry so early my dr said it can vary plus or minus a week at that stage

I had a private scan at 7+4, and he measured 7 weeks (so 4 days behind) (even though I know exactly which date I conceived)

But on the 12 and 16 week scan he had caught up and was measuring ahead- and maintained that date on both scans

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->