First fertility appointment...

Angelic

Reaction score
Hi

Not sure where I should be posting this so I'm posting it on a few to make sure I'm covered!

I have my first appointment tomorrow morning at a fertility clinic. Hubby and I have been trying for 18 months and I'm almost 40.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect at this first appointment? I've been asked to bring a urine sample, that's all.

Please help, I'm a little anxious!

Thanks x

Angelic

When I had my first appt they checked my thyroid, hormone levels, did an ultra sound and then told me to come back in two weeks to go over the results. I was able to ask a lot of questions to the doc but a lot of the answers I got on the 1st visit were generalized since they needed all of the tests back to be specific.

Thans hun. They didn't do an internal examination at the first appointment?

Angelic

Nope not with this doc, I was referred by an obgyn though and had a copy all of my charts with me. They did the exam on the second visit.

on my first appointment they did an internal and took swabs also asked all the same questions i had been over a million times with my GP the arranged CD2 and CD21 bloods and arranged an HSG then made me another appointment for me to come back in 4 months (will be 2nd appt 26th july)

Thanks hun. What are the CD2 and CD21 bloods for and what is an HSG?

hey ive got my 1st one on the 28th june, ive been told no internal, they like to dicuss your life style to see if your a heavy drinker smoker etc to see if thats why your not getting pregnant etc and i know somwone who said they dont do an ultra sound straight away, they may do blood on the next appointment and then ask partner to do sperm test etc xx

good luck xx

the bloods are to check hormone levels and to see if you actually are ovulating

the HSG is where they insert dye through a cathiter into your cervix and tubes while xraying it to check for blockages (ignore what you might here about this it didnt hurt me at all just a little uncomfortable for a few mins)

hope this helps x

Thanks hun, I guess it depends on the hospital. I'll let you know how I get on...

Best of luck with your appointment too! How long have you been ttc?

x

we dont get the scan etc 1st like usa we have to wait as we dont pay x

the bloods are to check hormone levels and to see if you actually are ovulating

the HSG is where they insert dye through a cathiter into your cervix and tubes while xraying it to check for blockages (ignore what you might here about this it didnt hurt me at all just a little uncomfortable for a few mins)

hope this helps x

That's really helpful, thanks for that! x

I guess that makes sense. I hope the hospital give me a better appointment slot next time, I can't keep taking a day off work lol x

i am in the UK and before i even got reffered my GP organised my scan and my first FS appt they did everything even organised my HSG think it depends on your GP and hospital

i have fridays off so i try get appointments for doctors dentist etc then but mines a monday that id already taken off, but know what you mean if you were pregnant you do get paid for taking days off the scans etc but not when your TTC,
if you wouldnt mind could you let me know what happens at your appointment xx

i am in the UK and before i even got reffered my GP organised my scan and my first FS appt they did everything even organised my HSG think it depends on your GP and hospital

really wow i wasnt told that, just told they will dicuss because they said if i started my peroid not to cancel appointment as they wouldnt be examining x

they can do the internal ultrasound even if you are on your period but obviously only with your consent and they are very understanding if you say u would rather have it at another time

dont let them fob you off with just a chat about things you will have already gone through with your GP as it can be 4-6 months before you get your next appointment tell them you want to get the tests under way ASAP after all we do pay for it really every month national insurance gets taken out of your/OH wage and that is to pay for the NHS

this was advice from my GP he is brilliant x

i have fridays off so i try get appointments for doctors dentist etc then but mines a monday that id already taken off, but know what you mean if you were pregnant you do get paid for taking days off the scans etc but not when your TTC,
if you wouldnt mind could you let me know what happens at your appointment xx

Yeah no probs, I'll defo be back on tomorrow to let you know how I get on. I'm kind of quite excited, it's just great to get the ball rolling. Although tbh the hospital I'll be going to doesn't have a fantastic reputation so I think I'll have to be quite pushy to get things moving quickly! I'd like to think at the very least they'll give me an internal examination...

x

Just noticed Karla that you've not had a ciggie in 28 days. That's brilliant!

:thumbup:

x

thanks hun to be honest its not been as tough as i thought think its because i know i am doing it for such a good reason and i want a baby so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->