First foods - cooked or raw?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by AlwaysPraying, Jan 30, 2011.

1. AlwaysPraying

AlwaysPraying Mom of two!

I'm seriously confused about The first foods. I'm doing cereal right now so that's simple enough. But it's the fruits and veggies I'm confused about. Do they all have to be cooked before they are mashed / pureed? Or can they be given raw? Im guessing I dont have to cook a banana before blending it, right? But what about a pear? Is there a rule for what must be cooked?

2. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

According to what I've read, all fruits and veggies should be cooked first except for bananas and avocado, which can just be mashed (and you can add bm or formula if you like to them).

3. AlwaysPraying

AlwaysPraying Mom of two!

That's easy enough. I thought it was going to be a long list of - do cook vs. Do don't cook. So the blended apple and formula I gave him yesterday was not the best idea? LOL! It was blended right up and he really only had some on his tounge. I wondered if I should have cooked it first. given my excitement and lack of knowledge I figured I'd go buy some proper rice cereal and start there.

4. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

Yes, you should cook apple, but that one time won't hurt baby. If you're interested in making your own baby food here's a great website I use for info and recipes. https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/