First midwife appointment - disappointing

Cocoa

Reaction score
Hi, id been looking forward to my first midwife appointment since i booked it in end of Dec. We went there yesterday and i was surprised to see the midwife in casual clothes - jeans and a cardigan! She seemed a bit all over the place and unsure of herself which made me very nervous. Then she tried to take my blood and failed both times and left me almost passing out. We didnt get a chance to ask questions and it was pretty much nothing. So im still unsure of it all.
The MW was very very nice and friendly, but just 'all over the place'. I dont think I could cope with that giving birth!

How was everyone elses first appointments?

mine was a good appointment. the midwifes mobile kept going but i didnt mind cos it meant i got to spend longer in her office, making it less of an in and out thing :)

Not yet for me, but I am nervous because its my 2nd! Having it all over again. :wacko: My appt will be next thurs. x

my midwife is coming to my house for my first apt its nxt week ill let u know how i get on.....did she not fill out all ure forms and things??? and my midwife 5 years ago wasnt good at taking blood either i told her i prefered to go to the blood test center in the hospital lol xxxx

My midwife is fantastic :) if youre really not happy you can change midwives. x

Mine was great - she came to the house, had a cuppa, we talked through everything to do with any worries, paperwork etc. Took about an hour and a half in all. I know a friend of mine went to the surgery and that was 40mins - pressure on clinic times I would imagine.

Mine at the GP is awful! Same as you and she even called me by the wrong name!!
The hospital ones seem fine though xxxx

The first appointment with my midwife was fine - she seemed to know what she was doing, however, when i got home and had a look through my notes, she'd accidentally ticked yes to me having a history of drug abuse and no to my husband being the baby's father (pretty big mistakes)! However, she was apologetic, provided new notes, and has since been very supportive and reassuring when I've called.

It's possible, your midwife had had a bad day so at this stage, try not to worry. Also, chances are your community midwife won't actually be the one who delivers ur baby - Maybe u could find out from her if that is the case.

Did she fill in your paperwork to be sent off for your dating scan? did she do your weight and blood pressure? Did she go through your family history of illnesses - diabetes, heart problems etc? Did you get your pack with books and leaflets?
If she didnt I would ask to see another midwife and get it all done properly.

My midwife appt was at my gp surgery, i was in there about an hour.

She shouldnt make you feel like you couldnt ask questions etc xx

MW at my first appointment was very nice but a little bit dizzy. However, my usual midwife is actually a man - wasn't sure how I would feel about that but he is very nice and so calm and professional that I think I prefer him to the female midwife I saw who seemed to be in a bit of a flap!

I had written all my notes beforehand, she did skim over them. I got blood pressure and weight taken and i had to get my bloods done by the nurse this morning.

I just thought it would be more relaxed and calm instead of all over the place. My husband and I came out disatisfied. I guess it didnt help it was the last appt of the day and she was half an hour behind.

MW's aren't the be all and end all of a pregnancy. in my first pregnancy i had no idea what to ask and the mw didn't offer much information - so basically i found her useless. but rest assured if you have a hospital birth the mw's there seem far more knowledgable and understanding.

i found out most of my information on forums like this one :)

basically, don't worry if she's a bit batty. if you're really concerned ask if there's another mw in your area.

Thanks for the reassurance :) my next one is in march, so will see how it goes. Im def going to get bloods done at nurses tho - much less traumatic! Felt like a pin cushion last night!! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->