First mw appointment - what happens?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Ziyazealous, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ziyazealous

Ziyazealous Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, just booked my first midwife appointment for 6th of July and i dont know what to expect. they gave me loads of leaflets at the doctors this morning but i havent had time to read them because i was running late for work. i did read a bit that said the first half of the appointment takes about 30 minutes and partners are advised to wait outside......what on earth are they going to do? bit worried now.

2. Elhaym

Elhaym It's a girl :)

It's fine hun! They ask partners to wait outside because they have to ask about domestic abuse, drug use, mental health issues etc which is confidential and if you did have any of those issues you might not be comfortable mentioning it in front of the partner.

At my appointment they took blood and urine samples, did height, weight and blood pressure, worked out bmi, filled in all the forms with my details, medical history, previous pregnancies etc, asked me if id thought about feeding methods, told me about vitamins, told me about the screening available for Downs etc, gave me a form for my maternity exemption certificate.... lots of stuff really! But don't be overehelmed, your midwife will talk you through it all and dont be afraid to ask if you dont understand :)

Good luck, it feels good to get the ball rolling and make it all official! x

3. MammyEvans20

MammyEvans20 Pregnant :D 3rd Tri :D

When do you get an appointment with the midwife? do you boook it or do they?
    How far do you have to be?

4. Elhaym

Elhaym It's a girl :)

Depends, sometimes your gp books it for you or you are given the number to self refer. I made an appointment with my doctor who worked out my due date etc then i made my midwife appointment at the front desk. Your doctors surgery will know the correct procedure for your area x

5. Ziyazealous

Ziyazealous Well-Known Member

Thanks Elhaym im not so worried now :)

6. xx_Holli_xx

xx_Holli_xx Pregnant with a princess

hello my name is Holli im 12 weeks preggo with my first

my first midwife appointment was about and hour and a half long. We talked about my history,the father of the baby's history,and who already knew in my family(since i am a teen mom). Then she did a urine test, blood work and a pelvic exam/pap smear.(which doesn't hurt feels like extreme pressure.
    at the time of the appointment i was 9 weeks so they didnt bother trying to find the heartbeat on the doppler(just heard it for the first time yesterday!) and then we scheduled my dating scan for the 13th of june! so exciting