First Post! Engorged on one side

Punky79

Reaction score
Hi girls

Hoping someone can advise - my LO is 3 weeks on Monday and is exclusively breastfeeding. I feed him every 2.5-3 hrs and feed from one breast (will offer the other if needed) at a time. My right boob feels really engorged and earlier when I fed him from it he was sick :cry: I had two hard lumps in it so put a hot flannel on when feeding which helped a lot.

I can't remember if it's engorged should I feed from that side or the other? Should I just feed from the right boob for a few feeds? Or express from the right and feed from the left? He's due a feed soon and it should be the left but that feels empty and the right is engorged.

I'm not an expert but I do get engorged breasts at night. I feed from the most engorged one, so in your situation, I would feed from the right side when it was very full.

Don't worry that LO was sick - it happens and it's normal. If it starts happening frequently (say more than once a day - proper vomiting rather than spitting up) then call your HV for advice. Also if it is projectile and happens two days in a row or more than once in a day you might be best to call for advice.

Do you alternate sides each time you feed? I wonder if you have been offering the right side more often by accident (I do this)... or maybe your LO prefers that side and so takes more from it (which I think would stimulate more milk production - thus causing the engorgement?)...?

Oops forgot to add - are the hard lumps gone now?

I agree with petal, I would feed from the right breast if it still feels engorged.

Well done on b/f your LO, the first six weeks or so are hard work but it is so worth persevering with it.

Personally I would feed from the heavy breast an then switch back to your normal routine. If you don't let lo feed from that breast it'll likely get heavier and she won't be able to latch on (worst case scenario) so best let her feed from it and it should settle down soon. If I notice one of my boobs getting particularly heavy I let lo feed from that breast even if it's out of turn then switch back to my normal left/right routine.

Oh forgot to add, if you're getting lumps, try massaging the breast before a feed with your knuckles, just loosely, around the lumpy area and when lo is feeding just massage your thumb or finger over the lumpy area toward the nipple and the lumps should pass quickly.

Thanks girls! Well the left one was more engorged this morning oh dear!!

I tried a hot flannel and that really helped. He was sick again from the right boob this morning but I think it's because he went for a second helping but was being a greedy guts! Petal thanks for the vomiting advice - I hate it when he's sick but I think it tramatises me more than him!

I hate hate hate it when my LO is sick - it definitely traumatises me the most! It makes me feel all panicky! She used to do it quite a lot when she was little - and it was surprising how much came out of her. She was always fine afterwards.

Now she is hardly ever sick. Hopefully she has grown out of it/her tummy has become more mature :)

I hate hate hate it when my LO is sick - it definitely traumatises me the most! It makes me feel all panicky! She used to do it quite a lot when she was little - and it was surprising how much came out of her. She was always fine afterwards.

Now she is hardly ever sick. Hopefully she has grown out of it/her tummy has become more mature :)

Oh yeah I definitely paniced! Thank god my BIL was there I just shouted out 'HELP!!!' :nope::haha:

I didn't really think BF babies were that sick but now I know different!

La was quite sicky in the early days too. It did pass and now it's usually daddy's tickling that does it!

my lo is goiung through a bit of a sick stage at the moment - it's a bit alarming when it seems to suddenly all come back up again - i think it's little tummies adjusting to our milk flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->