First time mamma!

swedengirl

Reaction score
Hey!

So this is my first time being pregnant! Such a scary and exciting time.

So I'm looking for any tips/advice/warnings/suggestions from any of you that might be good to know. Anything you think of! Also any other mums-to-be are welcome to follow!

There is so much advice on what to do/not to do I find it a bit overwhelming!

One specific question is any books you recommend?

Also I read you should sleep on your left side? How true is this? I'm wondering if I should switch sides with my OH as I like to face away from the middle of the bed, which currently means I sleep on my right side?

Thanks in advance girls!

This is my fifth pregnancy, and my other kids are 5, 3, 2, and 1. So, my experience with kids is age-limited, but I know the ropes of pregnancy, for sure. Here's my advice: know what you should and shouldn't be eating, don't lay flat on your back for more than a few minutes once you get to 15 weeks along or so, and take pretty much everything else with a grain of salt. I've read the books - all they did was scare me, with all the "watch out for" and the doom and dread nonsense that makes you feel like you'll never have a healthy baby. I just hate them. I really, really do. I prefer the websites that tell you what to expect week by week and tell you what's going on with your body. Your doctor will tell you what warning signs to look for and when you need to call them. My dr's office has this awesome little booklet they give you when you go to your first appointment, which tells you what you shouldn't be eating, when to call them, etc. I'm sure your practitioner will have something similar.

I think all you need for a healthy pregnancy is instinct and common sense, and a LITTLE bit of knowledge. Check out this website for some information on things you need to know right now. I really like it because it covers the basics. Remember also to not lift more than about 35 lbs (your doctor will tell you their own number, most likely - mine just says "listen to your body, and don't strain yourself"). I like the Baby Bump app. It just tells you the basic information and also gives you weekly updates on what's going on with your baby and your body, including how big baby is, etc. I also like my little "produce" baby sizer ticker. You can click the link on mine if you want your own!

And most importantly - relax! Congratulations! It's an overwhelming time, but really, it's the most natural thing in the world!

Thank you so much for your reply! My OH is also trying to get me not to worry. He said he thinks that's probably worse than sleeping on my right side!
So I'll try to focus on relaxing and knowing the basics but not overthinking! Thanks for the tips and advice I really appreciate it!

And welcome margeandmom we can be first timers together!

First pregnancy for me too, following!

I love this website: https://pregnantchicken.com/

she gives a really funny perspective on pregnancy and babies.

Welcome! Thanks for the website tip- had a look and it was really funny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"