First time mom to be!!

pumpkin90

Reaction score
we found out just yesterday that we were pregnant..

what I calculated my DD with my LMP, it is July 22nd, 2015. which would make me 4 weeks pregnant. But me calculating from Ovulation I would only be 2 weeks 4 days pregnant.

My question is.. Does the baby have to be implanted in your uterus lining to get a positive test?..cause 2 weeks it wouldn't be yet.

More questions...

Im taking prenatals and calcium every day... and I am not going super crazy about my eating, but I am being mindful and healthy.. and tips?!

When do I have to have my first apt with my midwife?
When do I get to hear the heartbeat?
When is the first ultrasound?

Anyone have a water birth? this is my wish
Anyone encapsulate the placenta?

I am sure I'll have more questions!!!... I am first time at this! SO excited but I want to do things right!

Congratualtions!

I'm a first time mom-to-be as well, so I can't answer many of your questions, but these I can give you my experience on:

When do I have to have my first apt with my midwife?
If you're in the United States like me, most doctors won't book your first appointment until 8 - 12 weeks. I had my first appointment at 8 weeks on the dot, though I actually measured a week early once I got there.

When do I get to hear the heartbeat?
At your first appointment (if it falls into the timetable I mentioned above), you should be able to see and hear the heartbeat. Although, I have heard it can be harder to hear the heartbeat too early depending on the machines and such.

When is the first ultrasound?
Your first ultrasound should be during your intial appointment (the 8 to 12 range in the U.S.). Mine was transvaginal, which basically means a probe shoved up there... yikes! But it doesn't hurt, and it gives the doctor a much clearer picture.

Hope this helps! There are a lot of ladies here who can clarify even more.

Congrats and welcome to the first trimester! I got my bfp at 3w1d which I thought was pretty early. You could have ovulated earlier than you thought or it didn't take baby as long to implant as it does for some. And remember you are two weeks "pregnant" at the time of ovulation. Either way congrats!

Call your OB as soon as you are ready to to make an appointment! For me I wasn't comfortable calling to schedule my appt till almost 6 weeks and the soonest opening they had was almost 2 weeks later. I asked for a scan due to one sided pain and cramps and we saw the heartbeat but didn't hear it. Although she didn't even try she just said it was too early to hear it. She did measure the bpm though which was nice.
My OB said normally they wouldn't do a scan so early especially because I am healthy and knew my dates spot on. DH was only in town 2 days that month so there was only 1 day conception could have occurred.
Since I got one so early they won't be doing one at 12 weeks which I am upset about. I needed the early one to rule out ectopic but I also want the 12 week one for NT testing and to ensure the baby has made it through the first trimester with no problems.

I think I am going to do a water birth as well. At a birthing center not a hospital. I'm really hoping to do it without drugs as well.
What on earth is encapsulating the placenta??

Happy healthy 9 months to you!

Hi there also a first timer! I'm due July 17 and am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant. You are most def not 2 weeks as pregnancy 'starts' the week of your last period.

Have had to cut out lots of yummy foods like cheeses already. You need to check online or with your doctor there's a bunch of things you need to avoid like shellfish, pate...

I had not even thought about the placenta either way...

I hope it all goes great for you! Maybe we should start a July baby thread?

Congrats and welcome to the first trimester! I got my bfp at 3w1d which I thought was pretty early. You could have ovulated earlier than you thought or it didn't take baby as long to implant as it does for some. And remember you are two weeks "pregnant" at the time of ovulation. Either way congrats!

Call your OB as soon as you are ready to to make an appointment! For me I wasn't comfortable calling to schedule my appt till almost 6 weeks and the soonest opening they had was almost 2 weeks later. I asked for a scan due to one sided pain and cramps and we saw the heartbeat but didn't hear it. Although she didn't even try she just said it was too early to hear it. She did measure the bpm though which was nice.
My OB said normally they wouldn't do a scan so early especially because I am healthy and knew my dates spot on. DH was only in town 2 days that month so there was only 1 day conception could have occurred.
Since I got one so early they won't be doing one at 12 weeks which I am upset about. I needed the early one to rule out ectopic but I also want the 12 week one for NT testing and to ensure the baby has made it through the first trimester with no problems.

I think I am going to do a water birth as well. At a birthing center not a hospital. I'm really hoping to do it without drugs as well.
What on earth is encapsulating the placenta??

Happy healthy 9 months to you!

Thanks for the info!! And a happy/healthy 9 months to you as well!!! To answer your question.. Encapsulating the placenta means that after you deliver, you can hire a company to freeze dry your placenta, grind it up and put it into tablets which you then take everyday after birth until all gone. I know, I know.. strange concept....but apparently its good to ward of PPD, fatigue, stops PP bleeding quicker, helps milk come in, helps babies immune, helps iron levels, etc. :)

Pumpkin90-- huh....interesting. I have heard of people doing things like that with the placenta I guess I just have never heard an actual name for it. Will you be doing it? Have you made your first appt yet?

Calcifer-- wait....no shellfish?! At all! Not even cooked crab or shrimp?! I haven't eaten any yet but my DH fishes for a living. Right now he is on a crabbing trip bringing me home my all time favorite kind of crab and all I can think about is eating it with lots of butter. Tell me this isn't so!!! I remember my dr saying cool it on the halibut and deli meats and cheeses but I must have blocked out the part about shellfish! I'm so sad if this is true it is going to be a long 6 more months with no crab or shrimp. :nope:

Pumpkin90-- huh....interesting. I have heard of people doing things like that with the placenta I guess I just have never heard an actual name for it. Will you be doing it? Have you made your first appt yet?

Calcifer-- wait....no shellfish?! At all! Not even cooked crab or shrimp?! I haven't eaten any yet but my DH fishes for a living. Right now he is on a crabbing trip bringing me home my all time favorite kind of crab and all I can think about is eating it with lots of butter. Tell me this isn't so!!! I remember my dr saying cool it on the halibut and deli meats and cheeses but I must have blocked out the part about shellfish! I'm so sad if this is true it is going to be a long 6 more months with no crab or shrimp. :nope:

I haven't decided if I will be doing it yet.. I am going to hopefully get a midwife and speak more about it to them. I went to my doctor this AM and got all my bloodwork completed. I am 5 weeks today :) I am to return in first week of Jan to have my 1st prenatal visit :). Can't come faster! I want to hear our little ones heartbeat! <3 . At that point, my family doctor will refer me to a obgyn or if I got lucky and got a midwife(fingers crossed!) then I'll go there :)

I haven't decided if I will be doing it yet.. I am going to hopefully get a midwife and speak more about it to them. I went to my doctor this AM and got all my bloodwork completed. I am 5 weeks today :) I am to return in first week of Jan to have my 1st prenatal visit :). Can't come faster! I want to hear our little ones heartbeat! <3 . At that point, my family doctor will refer me to a obgyn or if I got lucky and got a midwife(fingers crossed!) then I'll go there :)

I am definitely doing placenta encapsulation! A friend of mine did it and it was great for her post pregnancy. She is one of those gifted women that makes more testosterone naturally than most women (less fat storage). So since she naturally doesn't make much estrogen, soon after giving birth she would probably have had different feelings and emotions that normally would lead to postpartum depression. She was absolutely in a great mood and felt great after pregnancy. They were her happy pills!!

It also helped her with milk supply while breastfeeding. Win Win!

It cost around $250 near where I live and I believe it is totally worth it!!

Yay, I am a first timer as well and an older mom :wacko:

I found a website regarding eating shellfish
https://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442469725

Crab and shrimp is okay in moderation.

I eat tons of cheese because I don't really like milk. Cheese is okay, just becareful with softer kinds and unpasturized cheese. :)

Thanks Jenny Bean! I live in coastal Alaska so seafood is a big part of my diet! That link makes me feel better.... I just won't eat it every day. :happydance:

I'm a first timer too....don't think I've mentioned that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->