First time mummy to be can you help me make a list?

butterfly5

PREGNANT 3RD TRI
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I am only 9 weeks but I do not know how many sleep suits, body suits, outfits etc I need.

Also...how many nappies a day a baby gets through etc

DH and I are teachers but only a low income as I am only training so once 12 week scan is done we want to start buying a pack of nappies a week and wipes a week and an outfit so we can build our stock up!

Please can you make lists of EVERYTHING we will need. Inc baby lotions and potions for nappy rash, baby equipment etc.

Thanksx

I would say a minimum of 6 vests and 6 sleepsuits for the beginning and about 10 nappies a day for the first wee while. If you do cloth nappies, you can save a LOT of money. I wouldn't buy too many nappies ahead of time, as you won't know how long baby will fit each size or whether a particular brand agrees with their skin etc. Same goes for wipes. Could you maybe put money away instead? Also, you can save a ton of money by buying the first clothes on eBay or at nearly new sales (here you often get never worn clothes for next to nothing, 50p-£1 is normal) or in the sales (Sainsburies for example do good quality stuff and regularly have 25% off). Mind that you'll more than likely be given lots of stuff as well. Also, be aware that baby might never fit in "newborn" or "first" sizes, so if you do buy stuff, make sure you keep it in its packaging with the receipts until you know whether you can use it. I personally wouldn't buy outfits for the first three months btw but stick with sleepsuits instead. Much more practical and comfy for the baby!

you need a minimum of 1 weeks supply so you're not trying to do washing/shopping in those first few days.

as a minimum I would say:

7-10 vests
7-10 sleepers/rompers
2 hats
2 pairs of mitts
2 cardigans
1 over-coat/snowsuit

I would get these in both newborn and 0-3 months - baby may not be in newborn long so you may need the 0-3s very quickly. If you want to be majorly prepared then get 3-6m too.

Nappies - allow 10 per day for the first 2 weeks, then you can drop down to 7 per day for the next 6 weeks or so. I tend to buy 4 packs of size 1s, 4 packs of size 2s etc, about 100 of each size. I do this because babies grow so quickly you don't want to be left with a stockpile of too small nappies. Wipes I would get 1 a week, or buy the offers when you can. You will need 1-2 packs per week, so a good stash is always handy. buy the sensitive ones and mix brands (same with the nappies - mix of brands is good) as you don't know if LO may not like a certain brand/type.

Muslin cloths!!!!! Cannot stress this enough. They are sooo useful for everything. Get at least 6.

2-3 blankets of different weights, 2-3 sheets for base of bed.

1 bottle of head to toe wash. You will not need this to begin with, but it's multi-purpose and will last for ages until you can get to know LOs routine etc.

Cotton wool - buy a big bag! lol It's useful for so many things and can be used by you too lol

Dummies, bottles and sterilising equipment - obviously these are up to you. Buy what you think you'll need but they're always in the shops so maybe put a £10/£20 note somewhere as just in case money for bottles, steriliser etc if needed.

You've now got the basics covered. Somewhere to sleep, something to wear, and something to eat. Everything else is up to you. A couple of things that I couldn't live without - bonjela and infacol. Brilliant for teething and colic, even from the early days so I always make sure I have these. Sudacrem is always on hand too! A good layer of sudacrem or vaseline (or another barrier, lanisoh is good) at every nappy change helps stave off nappy rash in the early days when their skin is still very new. Baby lotion/oil/olive oil can help with newborn dry skin too if you massage it in to chapped/cracked areas (most newborns peel after being in water for 9 mnths so don't panic).

I think that's it. Obviously there's the big things like car seat, pushchair, bouncer, bed/moses basket and eventually high chairs and bath seats. It's mindboggling, so don't let it phase you. Once you've made your list stick to it and you shouldn't find your budget sky-rocketing.

My other advice - stay on team yellow. Things are cheaper (strange but true) in neutral and can be re-used again and again! :thumbup:

Congratulations!

I personally would have -

12 bodysuits
12 sleepsuits
1 snowsuit
3 or 4 cardigans
3 or 4 hats
And socks instead of mitts

Early baby days and explosive poos mean you can get through 4 outfit changes a day.

Babies can get through 10 nappies a day so i would buy a couple of weeks worth and lots of cotton wool (many wipes can be too harsh on newborn skin)

140 size 1 nappies (these usually go up to 11lbs)
2 large bags of cotton wool
a box of nappy sacks
Baby shampoo (to use after a couple of weeks)
Changing bag with changing mat
2 baby towels
12 muslin squares (can be used in moses basket, pram, over shoulder)
4 moses fitted sheets
2 moses flat sheets
4 cellular blankets (can be used in moses basket or pram)

If bottle feeding 6 bottles
Steriliser (cold water or microwave are cheapest)
A tub or 2 of formula

Pushchair & carseat

A bouncer (can get good cheap 2nd hand ones)

a room thermometer (good to know how many sheets/blanket layers baby needs)

A cant really think of anything else, i dont use lotions on baby skin for as long as possible as my two have very sensitive skin.

X x

Be careful stocking up on nappies - you may find some brands just don't suit your baby for some reason. Huggies, for example, seem to irritate my little boy's bum, but some friends haven't been able to use pampers, for example, coz they leak. I'd put a nappy fund away instead xx

I've found that we haven't had to buy hardly anything as the families and friends have been fantastic :). W're using reusable nappies they come in some stunning colours and patterns but I'll also have a few nappies just in case.
So far we also have a Moses basket, and 2nd hand play mat and bouncer chair both have never been used and where half the price of brand new but still is wrappers.
I'm still waiting on getting bedding and pram :).

Be careful stocking up on nappies - you may find some brands just don't suit your baby for some reason. Huggies, for example, seem to irritate my little boy's bum, but some friends haven't been able to use pampers, for example, coz they leak. I'd put a nappy fund away instead xx

That's actually smart Jojo to point out! So easy to forget while you're stockpiling that baby may not like or suit some things.

At the OP- Like mnonie said, people can be awful handy when you're pregnant! So I'd be careful just how much you go out and buy with certain things too. I've already gotten 3 offers for cribs, 2 offers for strollers, and 3 for car seats. That's why I'm holding off for a while longer before I do too much shopping. I can just imagine if I start buying a whole bunch of stuff I'm going to end up with enough for triplets!

thanks so much that has really helped me. I will just buy a few packs of various brand nappies and keep money aside for once the baby is here.

You have all really helped and I hope you do not think I was being really ditzy but I have never been maternal and everything just daunted me a little when I started to research what I had to buy :)

really excited :)

Tbh I don't think anyone thought you were ditzy, it was good to hear that its not just me the gets daunted by all the baby stuff, alot of our families are buying us stuff so I'm trying to hold off buying very much. But its so nice being able to buy little bits and it makes it some what more really to me anyway.

Tbh I don't think anyone thought you were ditzy, it was good to hear that its not just me the gets daunted by all the baby stuff, alot of our families are buying us stuff so I'm trying to hold off buying very much. But its so nice being able to buy little bits and it makes it some what more really to me anyway.

I love going thru my baby stash! Someone gave me a moses' basket today (it's so cute!). I can't wait to see a wee person sleeping in it! It's still kinda hard to believe sometimes tho.

At the op- I didn't think you were ditzy either. This is my first too and I'm not always sure what all I'm going to be needing myself!

I think we've all written/read/thought the same sort of thing when we're pregnant for the first time. The things you 'need' according to all the catalogues and shops would bankrupt you, and it's handy to get the lowdown on what you actually need to buy. As it is, I've done it twice now, and I kind of (not 100% but mostly lol) know what I'm doing lol. :blush: Never for a minute did I think you were ditzy - personally I think it's sensible to try to figure out what to prioritise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->