• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

First time TTC questions

Ahughes

Reaction score
My husband and I just started trying to conceive in October. I just had some spotting this morning, so I'm pretty sure it is AF because I would have usually started yesterday (November 3) but periods can always vary! lol. I took a pregnancy test on Friday, October 3 and it was a BFN. Anyways, I have some questions regarding on how to take care of my body to increase my chances of getting PG. Is it a good idea to start taking prenatal vitamins now or folic acid? I've read a little bit about both and most websites say to try folic acid. Now it is just the waiting game till I ovulate again. :shrug:

Edit: October 31st, I took a pregnancy test! Not October 3

I would say start prenatals now - they should have folic acid in them (make sure they do!) My doc suggested I start taking prenatals two or three months before I start TTC. I take one that's actually two pills that come together, one is the prenatal and the other is DHA.

Prenatal's are best when TTC and once conception occurs should be continued throughout the pregnancy at the very least you should take folic acid its been proven to help make healthy eggs and help prevent birth defects and lowers the chance of miscarriage and the more you take the better , its a B vitamin so whatever your body does not need will come out in your urine.

Also if your a coffee drinker you should either stop or lower your intake .Some studies have shown a link between consuming large amounts of caffeine and delayed conception. studies have also shown women who consume more than 300 mg (three 5 oz cups of coffee) a day may also be at an increased risk for miscarriage.
and of course Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and any illicit drugs should all be avoided when trying to conceive and while pregnant.

Its also a good idea to start charting your monthly cycles and on CD 1 start taking your basal body temp every morning to confirm ovulation is occurring every month.

Thank you! I have purchased a clear blue ovulation kit for this cycle. I had some light brown spotting this morning but it was only when I wiped, so I just assumed it was AF. Nothing has happened since this morning. Sorry for that gross info, lol. I've also had pain on my right side this morning, which I've never had during my period before. But, I will definitely look into prenatal vitamins with folic acid or just folic acid ones. Oh, and I only drink one cup of coffee a day (a regular sized mug) but maybe I will stop drinking coffee altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"