First time with OPKs- What are they supposed to do?

pinkavocado

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I was hoping you all could help me again. I order a big box of OPK strips.

I know that you will get a faint line several days before ovulation, and I know that the tests are actually positive when the test line is as dark as the control line.

I started testing on cycle day 7. I used my first-morning pee and there was a faint line.

I read that you should actually do it in the afternoon, as that is when your LH might be it's highest. So I decided from then on to take it in the afternoon. I took it on cycle day 9 and there was no line.

I just took it on CD 11, and there was no line.

I'll keep testing every other day and then everyday once I see the line again.

But does anyone know why there was a line on day 7? Does it take it a while for your LH to drop after ovulation? I think I ovulated late last cycle so day 7 would be about 19 dpo. I don't know much about what happens to LH throughout the whole cycle.

Thanks ladies! I'm hoping theres an OPK master here who can help!

Hi there! So it is best to test from like 10:00 AM to 8PM with internet cheapie OPKS. I believe that the reasoning is LH typically surges in the afternoon but everyone seems to be different. Digital OPKS say you can test any time of the day but they recommend morning. I got my Positive today on a digital test at 7:30 AM. So do what works for you. I would try testing twice a day though so you do not miss the surge!

Hi. I use opks 2x a day. It is best to try from 10 to 3p then 5 to 10p. If you are drinking lots and not holding urinr for a couple of hrs it will not b accurate. Try to use them same times. I always try 11am then 6pm. Gives me the results i need. Easy to miss the surge. I got positives both times in day on Cd 11. Cd 10 it looked questionably pos then cd 12 it was very light. Hope this helps. I buy dollar tree ones and use about 6 to 8 every cycle

Thank you! For the past few days the line has been super faint or not there at all. I try not drinking a ton of liquids, but I'm balancing that with my doctor telling me to drink a lot of liquids and make sure I'm peeing a lot because of the medicine I'm on. Maybe if I see it a little stronger I can try to hold my pee and see how dark it's actually supposed to be.

I'm not super stressed about getting it right. My hubby and I plan to baby dance every other day this cycle until I get a positive hpt or AF. I think I've been ovulating later than we thought.

It's more curiosity to confirm if I'm temping correctly. Plus if we see a positive opk, we will probably do the SMEP plan and go three days in a row.

Urine based OPKs come in a number of different formats. Up to more fancy, but not necessarily any better- digital option. It is not advisable to use your first morning urine sampl. This is because LH is synthesized in body early in the morning. It may not show up in urine until later in the day. The best time to test is around 2pm. Once a positive result is detected, ovulation usually occurs within the next 24-36 hours. These OPKs are generally highly accurate in detecting the LH surge. But they are not foolproof and have a number of pitfalls at the same time. A better way to gain understanding of your fertility is by learning how to correctly observe and interpret your basal body temperature and cervical fluid. Used alone or in conjunction with OPKs, fertility awareness provides more benefits when you’re trying to get pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->