First Timer - October Baby

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
Well this has been a whirlwind two weeks. We went from WTT with no real date to TTC to a BFP on Saturday and I'm feeling overwhelmed! It hasn't sunk in properly yet. AF was due today and so I am checking she definitely isn't going to show then I'll retest on Wednesday just to confirm that I am pregnant - well until I get a doctor's appointment that it.

I'm ridiculously happy and excited as it's something I've wanted for a long time but also a bit scared and anxious. Although I have no real reason to worry I'm terrified of something happening to my little bean! Plus, I have issues with anxiety so the thought of doctor's appointments is a little overwhelming but I think once I get through a few of them I'll be okay. It's just I don't know what to expect and that freaks me out!

I'm also a little nervous about telling my family although I know they'll be thrilled. I don't know why :shrug:

Anyone else in the same boat?

:hugs: CONGRATULATIONS!

I felt nervous at first as well and couldn't believe it. I thought how am I going to raise a baby and grow it! And we had been trying nearly a year and half and went through ivf! Feeling nervous is normal.

Also took awhile to sink in. Think I've finally started feeling pregnant and knowing this has happened and is happening! :happydance:

good luck :)

Congratulations! <3

I definitely think it's normal to be nervous. I had been trying for 20 months when I got pregnant and I was still super nervous about telling my family and just nervous in general.

It's such a shock (a lovely shock!) even when you are wanting it so I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. Give yourself time to let the news sink in and take your time with telling people - tell them when you feel ready and don't feel tons of pressure <3

xx

Thanks ladies. I just feel so nervous about everything at the moment and stupidly worried that it won't stick! I'm nervous about telling people even though I'm 25 and I've been with DH for almost ten years and married for six months! I think it'll be hard to keep it secret from my family - they're all coffee addicts (as was I until recently) so it's hard to refuse a coffee without looking suspicious. :haha: And I'm seeing them three times this week! It's going to be tough.

When did you tell your immediate family like parents and siblings?

I'm 25 as well and still felt like, argh. It's funny isn't it?!

Haha yes, agree with you about the coffee!
I actually told my Mum on the day I found out because I'm rubbish at keeping my mouth shut and it was so obvious from my massive smile that I was pregnant. I told my brothers that evening because they still live with my Mum and it was just easier! Luckily though I wasn't too anxious about any of them because my Mum had known we were TTC for a long time.
My OH's parents were a little more tricky so we waited a few days and then told them. He delayed his brother for about a week which annoyed his parents because his brother lives at home and so his parents were having to watch themselves. It was all good though in the end and now in particular his Dad is so excited for us!

I'm sure it will be amazing when you tell your family! x

We told close family at 4 weeks, and then extended family at 7 weeks. We had seen the heartbeat by then and wanted to share the news as I a. Now leaving the country in less than a week! It gave us some time to enjoy it with them.

Even after trying for over a year, it was still a total shock when I got my bfp. I'll be 7 weeks this Thursday and it's still sinking in really. We were so excited that we told our immediate families and just a few closest friends at 4 and a half weeks. I'm still nervous that something could go wrong (especially because so many lovely ladies on these forums have had terrible experiences and you can't help but worry when you read others stories), but I'm trying to stay at positive as possible.

Congratulations and just enjoy it as much as possible. We will have plenty of time to worry until October. =)

Congratulations. The best thing to do is just relax for a week or so. Its ok to be excited. Its normal to worry. Its normal to check the tissue everytime you have a wee. You will feel a mix of different emotions but time does go quickly. The first 12 weeks were hardest for me. I think thats the case for alot of ladies because you can feel abit rubbish from 6 weeks. You may feel or be sick. But if you dont that is normal and nothing to worry about.

When you go to your first appointment they check your height and weight, check your urine, do blood tests etc. They ask you about family history, take your details and possibly will ask your choice of hospital to give birth in. You will get your notes. An estimate due date too.I think around 8-9 weeks they will do this so ring up to get an appointment in a couple of weeks :)

After that you will get a date for a 12 week scan where they will check baby and make sure everything is going well. They will measure the baby and this will tell you if your due dates changed. You get pictures and see the midwife or consultant after. Also they do a down syndrome rest if you agree and they measure the fluid at the back of babies neck.

then you will have a 16 week check up. A 20 week scan... they look at baby in alot more detail. Check spine, heart and other organs are developing ok. You can find out gender too.

then you go at 24,28, 32, 35 weeks then it may end up every week. These check ups vary depending on blood pressure or any other problems you may get.

All midwives in my experience are pleasant and kind. I have one who sometimes says the odd thing i dont agree with but shes still nice.

you may find you get different aches and pains throughout but there usually nothing to worry about. If you do get any bleeding let your mudwife no. Also if your worried about anything they are there to help so dont hesitate to ring. Xx

Hope this helps. Enjoy your pregnancy.

Congrats to all you other lovely ladies :)

Thanks for all that advice, laura. It's super helpful to see it all written out like that. I'm so nervous about the doctors bit. I'm itching to tell my mum just so she can reassure me but then I would have to tell my dad and sisters plus my in laws.

I want to get a big sister bandana for our little dog as a way of announcing. I think once we have that we'll announce to our immediate family then keep quiet until 12 weeks.

Once you have met your midwife you will perhaps enjoy your appointments and the nerves will go. I think i was nervous at ny first scan but honestly there so lovely.they have to be. . Its great when you get a bump and they measure it and do the heartbeat. You get to hear your babies heart chugging away. Its such an amazing sound. My daughter hates the heartbeat doppler so she rolls away so they used to struggle to catch her lol. Shes 5 days late now so shes keeping us waiting.

Family wise we told them at about 7-8 weeks. If you want to wait till you have had your scan you could always pass them the picture.

through my experience in the last 9 months i wish i had waited to tell people. Only because everyone has an opinion and it can be overwhelming. My parents and sisters etc all have different ideas and honestly sometimes ive wanted to scream.

The tip i will give you is make your own choices. Dont feel pushed. Ive gad people saying you dont need this and that. They have even been rude about our name choice. So if you think people will be this way with you id wait to save yourself some stress lol.

If you want to ask me anything else feel free. Im just sat waiting to give birth lol x

Good luck Laura! I hope she makes her appearance soon and that all goes smoothly. =)

Dandi: I am also exactly 6w 4d!

I am nervous to tell people, but also excited so I want to spill it. I have told a few friends, my brother and sister, and my boss. I really want to tell my mom, but I am waiting so I can tell her in person and see her cry!

I looked at an interesting chart the other day (it's posted in a thread on these forums somewhere) that puts my current risk of miscarriage around 5%. I kind of want to wait another week til it's down at 3% to tell people. Even though I have beeen feeling fine with no weird symptoms, I wouldn't want to have to deal with telling so many people the bad news if things went wrong.

I get really nervous, mostly when reading too much about pregnancy! It's good to be informed, but reading the bad stories sometimes gives you unnecessary worry. All you can do is take care of yourself, so focus on that!

Oneill any chance you know where that table is on here? I'd love to see it

Thank you dandi. Im being induced in six days if shes not here.

it will soon be your turn. Time flies. Hope you have an easy pregnancy xx

Ladies dont look at miscarriage stats. Its not worth it. Just relax until you see any bleeding you have no reason to think about it. You will be fine. Trouble is people only use these boards when there worried or gad a bad experience so they seem more common than they are. Xx

Wow Laura I need to read more of your posts, you sound so positive and that's what I need right now. I don't know why I just have this horrible feeling something is going to go wrong....maybe it's because we've been somlucky and caught first month. You really do read so many bad things on here, think it makes it worse!

I fell into that trap too for abit but if i can help others ill try lol. I worry about things to but once you get through to the other side you wish you could of gone back and stopped worrying about it. Instead go and look on mothercare etc and do some positive research. Its not good to worry. You deserve your babies xx

Thank you so much! I will make an effort to not constantly worry! Good luck with your little lady, hope she doesn't keep you waiting too much longer xx

Thanks hun. She will have no choice monday haha. I can feel her rolling over now. Shes engaged but she hasn't gone onto her tummy so she still can twist and turn. She has never been good lol.xx

Aw how exciting, 40 weeks seems ages away for me! Lol. Have you found its gone fast? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->