First timers - your labour concerns??

esther

Mum to Layla born June 09
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am a first time mummy and I thought I would share a few of my concerns about going into labour - do you have the same concerns or any others??

Hoping also some other mummies can shed some light on some of these concerns as they have been there before and may have some understanding of how they treat these situations etc?

Here are a few things that have me a little worried:

1. Worried about cord being wrapped around her neck, even though it does happen a lot, if she came out not breathing well I would just freak out I think, it would be so touch and go not knowing what is happening.
  2. Worried about her opening her bowels before she is born and having her breathe meconium, I know that it can affect their breathing and cause infection.
  3. Worried about her becoming distressed during labour and her heart rate dropping - do they monitor your babies heart rate while you are in active labour or is it just when you are having contractions before you are ready to deliver?

Once in labour hun you won't think of much to panic about other than pains ;) BUT I think the cord is something that crosses every expecting Mummys mind along other things like getting BFP confirmed, first scan etc etc and the worry the concerns doesn't end there Im afraid ...it only shows love for your baby :hugs: Just try not to let them panic you too much a sane Mummy is much better :lol: x

I've not seen many mention baby opening their bowels in the womb still but Ive rarely heard it mentioned on here so again ...sane Mummy needed.

Heart rate - It depends on your hospital for hours Caitlins was monitored for about an hour with Megan. Heart was monitored when contractions were being counted ...click a button every time you have one. Again once at that stage you won't be thinking much other than OMG and looking forward to meeting your baby.

All your anxietys are perfectly normal but also spend this last few weeks enjoying your time as an expecting parent, cuddles with OH and calm is the sanity key. Be just fine :hugs:

I agree with wobbles hun, wether your a first time mummy or 2nd or 3rd or so on...the worries are exactly the same.

Im afraid it just gets worse when they arrive too, you dont EVER stop worrying about them!

I promise, once your in labour you wont even think about any of those things....you will just be like 'OMG GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

You'll be fine:hugs:

My first LO was overdue by 4 days, and when my labours broke (at the hospital, while in their bath) they found she'd opened her bowels - I hadn't read up about much of anything with my first so didn't even realise this was a possible problem - they transferred me to the labour ward from the birthing suite, again I didn't realise because there was a problem I just thought it was because I was that much closer to having her!

She was absolutely fine though, perfect apgar scores - So perfect it wasn't until this pregnancy and talking to my midwife that I realised that that was the reason I was transferred ;) I don't know anything about the other 2 questions though I'm afraid.

Everything will be fine hun :hugs: I think it's natural to worry, but what happens happens - Just wait till LO is out, just as much to worry about then too!

Yep, my son swallowed meconium and was poorly for about a week. A week in hospital and antibiotics cleared it up and he was soon good as new. The good thing is that we medicines to make our babies better in these situations.

Many babies are born with the cords around their necks. The good news is that the placenta keeps the baby going for a good few minutes after the birth so it's highly unlikely that they would be starved of oxygen.

Amber, had cord around her neck once, but that wasnt main problem, she had loads of knots in her cord, basically just luck to even be alive! She didnt cry straight away was took over to the trolly before coming to me.
Amber had opened her bowels in me, but to the MW it wasnt huge problem. She made me stop pushing once head was out to clean her up a bit, then i continued.
I was monitor twice for about 10mins, i wasnt checked while in labour.

I'm just worried about there being something wrong with him but I'm trying to think confidently that there won't be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->