First Tri Weight Gain?

DoodleDoo

Reaction score
I read online that you're only supposed to put on 2lbs in 1st tri, but with my horrible morning sickness I've been having to constantly graze at crackers all day to try and keep my tummy settled. The consequence is, I've put on about 4lbs already! :nope:

Is this okay? I'm a healthy weight still, up from 8st 10 to 9st and still fit into my jeans...

How are you girls finding your weight changes? Are they similar? :shrug:

I've put in loads despite being sick pretty much every day for what now seems like months! I'm not worried, I've satisfied my body, not my weight. Got to look after bubs.

I wouldn't worry about it. With my daughter I lost 4 lbs no morning sickness or anything either the first 16 weeks. Then I started to gain. With this one I'm up one maybe two pounds at this point.
I have also read that first trimester 2-5 lbs is the 'average' weight gain. Just because it's average doesn't mean it will be average for you. I'm sure all is fine and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Everyone is different every pregnancy is different. Some women gain 40 lbs in their pregnancy some more. Some women may only gain 20 lbs or less. When you go for your check up if your doctor is not concerned I would not be either.

Average weight gain and what most doctors would like for you to put on is 25-30 lbs through out your pregnancy. Yes they want you to gradually put that on, but most women I know put the weight on 2nd and 3rd tri. With DS1, I was that way too, the most I put on was between 6 and 7 month (I ended up gaining 46lbs with him). With DS2 though, I lost 8lbs through 14 weeks, and by the time I had him, I was still 1 lb less than where I started.

i believe the weight gain is expected to start in 2nd tri. i didnt gain at all in 1st tri. in fact, i lost 6.5 pounds in one week alone and my morning sickness did not ever make me throw up, it was just the fact im naturally a petite girl and the extra water intake made me pee out whatever fats i had i suppose. ofcourse i was worried as im 118 pounds now after the weightloss and im now gaining .2 ounces every few days in the second trimester. i eat often though so its not that my diet is lacking whatsoever. the doctor takes my weight everytime but when they saw it went down quite fast, they werent worried at all. didnt bring it up one time with me; probably because baby is extremely active, healthy, and happy in there!

I find this thread difficult as I work in kg...

I've put on 1.5kg in first tri, which I think is about 3lbs

I'm expecting to put on around 12kg by the end as that's what the midwife told me.

I haven't put on anything yet.

I haven't had morning sickness or anything but I've lost about 5 pounds. They told me 25 was what I should gain throughout.

Thanks for the replies girls :)

I think it must be different for everyone. I just don't really want anymore baby weight than I actually need ha :p

Is anyone starting to show yet? I'm so bloated I don't think I could tell the difference between baby and belly at the minute! :dohh:

I saw my doctor on Saturday, and I am down 5 lbs from the last time I was weighed. (about a month and a half ago) I had modified my diet in the last couple months though in an effort to lose weight so that is probably from that.

I lost about 2kg due to sickness, but I could do with losing a bit of weight as am still up 6kg from my pre pregnancy weight from ds. My last pregnancy I put on about 1kg in the first tri, put 20kg on in total & am hoping this pregnancy to stay around the 10kg or under mark.

in my previous 2 pregnancies.. my cravings and nausea made me eat some not so healthy foods.. like fries- GREAT for relieving nausea. I gained probably about 8 lbs in the first tri for both of them BUT the weight gain DID slow down. I wouldn't worry AT ALL about it! :hugs:

I am also worried about weight gain. I gained 40 lbs with my first but it all came off within two months. I'm also about 6ft tall though. with this one my weight has been all over the place so far, ranging from 161 to 168 all depending on multiple things like morning sickness, insatiable appetite, stomach bug, not pooping regularly lol. it seems almost ridiculous to even pretend to try to monitor it right now. my prepregnancy weight was 165...so we shall see. just eat healthy when you can and move! you'll be just fine as long as you don't let people convince you that you're "eating for two." hahaha good luck!

I just got on here to ask this question! I gained 24 lbs with my son, and it was dead on the predicted weight gain chart. Barely any at first and steadily more. I was really ill with him. This time I've already gained 5 lbs at 8 weeks! I'm 5'8" and was 128 pre-pregnancy (I was 126 before my son). I'm not nearly as ill this time, though I do feel sick if I'm hungry. I'm trying to keep full with healthy things. I'm a very healthy eater naturally. I worked on my feet with my son, but now I'm home with him. I also ran until about 4 months with him, but haven't with this one. I'm just worried I'm going to blow up if I keep on gaining at this pace. I'll try walking more now that the nausea seems to be passing. Hopefully that slows things down. But I definitely have a noticeable belly. That's where the 5 lbs went (and my boobs!).

I gained 16 lbs in total last time (from my starting weight but I did lose a lot in the first tri) this time I'm 8 weeks and I've stayed the same.... Nausea controlled by food this time rather than turning me off food so I'm kind if nervous about my weight gain. Although to be fair I've started out weighing less than I did last time anyway but I'm going to start slimming world soon I think as I really want to keep this under control

I've put on 2,5 kilos. I have set my goal to a total of 12kilos total. Have been loving the carbs last few weeks. Cant wait to have me 12 week scan after one week and then I plan on going to the gym :) was very active before I got pregnant so I am going to continue that :)

I was underweight when I conceived. I had put on 36 pounds in total, during my first pregnancy. I had lost initially due to morning sickness, but put on fast, when 2nd and majorly 3rd trimester started. DS was born healthy weighing 7 pounds. How much weight gain is normal, depends on your BMI. If you are overweight, you may not need much weight gain.
Snacking regularly during pregnancy could lead to above-average weight gain. Try not to use morning sickness (or food cravings) as a reason to overindulge in unhealthy processed foods. If carbohydrates like biscuits and bread are the only things you can stomach, reach for the wholegrain variety, which will provide more nutrients and longer-lasting energy. This is especially important, as carrying a lot of extra weight at the start of pregnancy can increase your risk of complications during your pregnancy and labour.
Try to keep active. You could join a pregnancy exercise class, such as antenatal yoga, pilates or aqua natal. But in general, try to build extra movement into each day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->