First try IVF/ICSI success? Looking for hope.

Pickletilly

Mum to twin girls
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had my first egg collection yesterday, 15 eggs, 13 ICSI'd, 10 fertilised. They are hoping to take my embryos to 5 day blastocysts.

I'm just losing hope recently, all I see in people's sigs, blogs or vlogs is "IVF cycle #1 BFN" and I know I am lucky to even be able to have access to IVF and how amazing it is, but I just want to have a glimmer of hope that actually it can work first time round.

So please, if you've had your bfp from your first try, please share :cat:

I got a BFP on my first attempt- unfortunately I had a mmc, but that was just a case of being unlucky. We only got 3 eggs on my first ER, so to get a positive was shocking in itself.

We went through attempt #2 in October and I'm now 31 weeks pregnant with a baby boy.

The fact that you had 10 eggs fertilise is a great start. I had 2 first time around and 10 this time around. Due to having so few on the first attempt, I had to have a 2dt. On our last attempt, we managed to do a 5dt. We also had 4 embryos which were good enough to be frozen. I know it's a cliche but it only takes one. Good luck! X

Thanks for your post! Sorry for your loss but congrats on your pregnancy! Great news :)

I just received my BFP from my first IVF and although its early, as u can see in my siggy, my levels have been more than doubling!

I also only had ONE transferred on day 3. It was a perfect 8 cell grade A embryo. I was still skeptical about only putting one back but my RE literally insisted, and good thing she did! I only had 5 eggs retrieved, matured, & fertilized. All 5 made it to day 3. The one was transferred and succeeded and the other 4 are now frosties! :).

I too had the SAME exact fears as you. Just know that it CAN and does happen on the first try for MANY couples. The main thing everything relies on is the quality of the embryo/blastocyst and all the embryologist can do is pick the best looking one and hope its just as good on the inside. You had the perfect # of eggs retrieved, btw. :).

If I can have success on my first round of IVF with only 1 day 3 embryo, there's DEF hope for you with a day 5! Even a day 3! (but I'm crossing my fingers u get to day 5! :) )

I hope this helped some. IVF was definitely a very very stressful process and there were times in my TWW that deep down I thought to myself "this didn't work." and I started preparing mentally for a FET cycle before my insurance ran out and lo and behold, we actually got our BFP! I'm still a little in disbelief that it could happen for us first try but it really does happen for many people!

Also, I only read 1st time success stories during my ivf cycle/TWW. I found reading nothing but positive stories for my particular situation was the absolute best thing for me. I hope you have a very quick and easy transfer followed by a very sticky :bfp:!! Good luck to you and lots of dust! :dust:

I've got a cheeky 2 year old from my first round of ivf, we had 6 embryos from 12 eggs and had a day 3 transfer. I think you tend to hear about more failed cycles because many women once they're pregnant or have a newborn stop coming in the forums, best of luck xxxx

I've got a cheeky 2 year old from my first round of ivf, we had 6 embryos from 12 eggs and had a day 3 transfer. I think you tend to hear about more failed cycles because many women once they're pregnant or have a newborn stop coming in the forums, best of luck xxxx

I basically said these same exact words to my dh last night...the internet makes it LOOK like more cycles fail than succeed but its really a 50/50 chance when it all comes down to it.

O.P, please do come back on and update after your transfer! I'm here rooting for you! FX super duper tight! :dust:

Hi, I had my cycle in October and was a freeze all due to ohss, was only mild but was best to wait
I was scared as meant my embryos had to make it to day 5 to freeze
I had 22 eggs, 20 fertilised and 8 made it to freeze
In march I had my fet and got my bfp 5 days after transfer so technically worked first time I just had a wait for transfer but I'm glad I did as my body was in a better condition

I never believed it would work first time and just felt like I was going through the motions but you have a great number and no reason why it shouldn't work for you

Good luck and keep us updated!

Wow thanks everyone, so much! I feel a lot better reading your positive stories! Congrats all on your pregnancies!

Aidensmommy1 thank you for your kind words. I will definitely update here :)

Minty I think you're right, that's just how the cookie crumbles. It's just hard to see so many bfn's from something that I only get a few chances at in my lifetime.

Fingers crossed :)

Good luck! :)

Transfer is scheduled for Tuesday right?! (Am I calculating the date right? Lol)

Thanks hun, it is Tuesday yep! Haven't had a phone call to tell me I need to come in earlier so happy with that :)

How are you feeling?

Thanks hun, it is Tuesday yep! Haven't had a phone call to tell me I need to come in earlier so happy with that :)

How are you feeling?

I'm feeling pretty good right now. I had a KILLER migraine earlier. My belly is swollen where my left ovary (only ovary) is. Thats one thing I will warn u about. After pregnancy is achieved, ur ovary will most likely remain slightly swollen for quite awhile afterwards. Just drink TONS of water and Gatorade to help. One side of my belly is literally sticking out half an inch more then the other side, lol. As long as there's no severe pain, all is good tho! Its just a little freaky, having just the one swollen ovary & all!

And that is good news that u haven't heard from them sooner for transfer! Only 2 days to go!! What time is it scheduled for? And are u doing and elective single transfer or how many are u hoping to transfer?
Also, have they called to update u about ur embies at all? No call is def good, as it means enough are moving along great but if your curious at all, u can call them and they'll let u know ;). I went nuts waiting to hear day by day how my embabies were doing! lol

Aw not long before that goes down though! I am still very bloated and swollen, I am absolutely dreading them telling me I have mild OHSS. I don't have the symptoms but a work colleague even said today I've put on weight!

I got the call today saying my transfer is at 1:45pm tomorrow. She also said that yesterday (day 3) when they checked on my embies I still had 10! I am only allowed one, I'm not sure what I would choose to do if I had a choice.

Good luck!!!

And dont worry too much about the OHSS. I actually wasn't diagnosed with it but still gained 8lbs. Your going to gain some weight from the bloating and meds initially, regardless, but If u aren't showing signs of it yet, I think you'll be good. Just be sure to continue drinking like crazy after the transfer! Can't wait for an update tomorrow! And thats awesome all 10 are still going strong! Thats such good news to hear! I was so excited to hear my only 5 all matured, fertilized, and made it to transfer or freeze. I bet you'll have some to freeze, too! :). Things are looking good for you! FX!! :dust:

Fwiw - my first IVF (and only fresh) cycle worked and I have a toddler sleeping down the hall right now.

Good luck today!!! :) I go for my 4th beta today and hopefully will get my u/s scheduled! FX for us both!!

I'm so excited for you today!! :wohoo:

Good luck today!!! :) I go for my 4th beta today and hopefully will get my u/s scheduled! FX for us both!!

I'm so excited for you today!! :wohoo:

Good luck! Big days for us both! Let me know how your day goes. I hope I am able to have a sticky bean like you soon :)

Thank you SunUp and His Princess :hug:

I hope so too! I think you will ;). A day 5 transfer is awesome! I have alot of hope for you. Many sticky thoughts your way!

Transfer went well, I now have a perfect top grade AA embie on board. All 10 made it to day 5, they've frozen 3 and the other 6 are still going and the survivors will be frozen too! Yay :) how was your beta?

Amazing news!!!

And my beta went great! My levels are still doubling every 32hrs (amazing!) and they're now a whopping 3,151! Now I have my first early scan on Friday to confirm its in my uterus and then to see the HB on June 10th! You should be getting your first beta June 9th-10th, right? That'll be a big day for us both, again! :) I have ALOT of hope for you! Having a top grade blast gives you amazing odds! Yay! I cannot wait for ur TWW to end!!!

Oh btw, congrats on being PUPO!! (Pregnant unless Proven Otherwise) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->