First ultrasound!!! 18 weeks!?!?

impatient1

Mommy to 1 Angel & 2 DD
Reaction score
Hey girls,
Today I went for my first appointment with my gp, which went very well. I have to go back to see her in 4 weeks time. She said I am about 8 weeks along and as of right now my due date is November 18 (later than I had thought, but because my periods were a little eratic that's what we are going to go with for now). She asked us some background questions and basic stuff like that, did a pap test & internal, etc. She said it would be a little early to hear the heartbeat just yet?!? and that we would be able to hear it around 12 weeks (which is when my next visit is). I have to get some bloodwork done and some stuff like that, which I expected. I asked her about an ultrasound, which she said we would schedule and talk more about on my next visit, as the ultrasound would take place around 18 weeks!?!? That is so long away, how am I supposed to wait 4 more weeks before I can hear my baby's heartbeat and 10 more weeks to see my baby?!?!? This seems like sucha long time, especially when I know people have already heard the heartbeat and had ultrasounds done. The pamphlet I received said that they only give scans between the 11 & 13th week in women over 35 or high risk cases (yeah, great I don't fit into that category but that is such a long time!)
Sorry for my rant but has anyone else been told this before?

Whereabouts are you? I know that the majority of NHS PCTs offer a dating scan and an anomoly scan plus the occasional nuchal scan as standard, but I've also heard of ladies in Ireland and Canada only getting the anomoly scan.
Even here though, each PCT varies and women get very different care. If you are worried you could get a private scan done to put your mind at rest.

Whereabouts are you? I read on the Southampton hospital website that they only offer one routine scan from 18-20 weeks. I can't believe this is right - it's just too long!! I am only 5 weeks and already going mad with worry, am thinking of booking an early scan privately to put my mind at ease. Is this an option for you? They seem to cost about £80-£90 which is a lot of money but I think if you can afford it would be money well spent.

Cat
x

I feel like I've been reading more and more about how *some* Doctors aren't doing as many scans/ultrasounds due to exposure of all of those different chemicals and signals to the baby. It makes sense to me, but I understand your frustration! I was told the same thing!

Im in Ireland and our first scans are not till 20wks ! But I had some early scans done because of unsure dates and some slight pains ! Other than that I would have had to wait till 20wks but I know I would have ended up paying private for a scan I am sooo impatient and dont know how anyone can wait that long !

Hey girls,
I live in Canada, I know I can go for a 3D/4D scan which costs about $200 to $300.00 (not exactly sure the price) it does come with photos and a video to keep as well. I think I may look into this, wanted to before but the cost is so much, I'm not sure if we could financially put out that much for it right now as I'm already put out of work for a few weeks due to sciatica.
I do understand if it is for the purposes of chemicals and signals and such but that is such a long time to go and not know what is going on. I think I would feel better if I could atleast hear the heatbeat but knowing that it's another 4 weeks away as well, just makes it seem so long away for all of it.

I'm relying on my first scan (tomorrow - yipee!) to give me the reassurance I need to actually tell people, so there's no way I could wait until 18 weeks... I'd definitely be getting it done privately if I was having to wait that long!

That is what I was planning too lucilou, we have told a few people but I wanted to wait until the ultrasound to tell people from work and other friends and family. Now I have to either wait or tell them before the ultrasound, we'll see how I feel after hearing the baby's heartbeat. I would have liked to wait to have the 3D/4D scan until further on in the pregnancy but now I don't know, that's if we can even budget it in.

I'm in Ireland too - the only reason I am getting a scan at 13 weeks is because I'm booked in with the Domino midwife scheme and they arranged it for me (this is only available in some catchment areas though). Other than that my GP told me I wouldn't get a scan until 20 weeks unless I paid for it privately! Don't think I could wait that long - it's hard enough waiting as it is!!

Yeyyy another Irish person.. I thought I was all alone lol:happydance::happydance:

https://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk/Default.aspx?DN=44169293-34db-41bb-83e3-85db7442f0be

this is a guide to what my hospital do for maternity appointments looks like we offered 12/13 week scan

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->