First US - Sac and Yolk but no fetus yet?

Newbie004

Reaction score
Hey all! By my calculations I was 6 weeks yesterday - went in for what i thought was a bladder infection (still waiting to hear) and doc did a US while I was there. We saw the Sac, Yolk Sac and MAYBE a teeny tiny bit of tissue he said could be baby. My original first prenatal appointment is in two weeks. Anyone ever have this happen? Doc said I am probably just not quite as far along as i think and said nothing to worry about - but of course I am freaking out and these next two weeks are going to drive me insane!

Right now try to relax. I'm in the same boat will find out Thursday if any progression in a week; although I was expecting to be 7+4 based on LMP that day. You could very well be too early and the fact there's gestational sac , yolk sac and a little bit of tissue is a sign of progression. We didn't see fetal pole until week 7 last Pregnancy If your doc isn't worried , don't be.

Yes it happens ed to me this time. Had a scan at 5+5 and there was a yolk and sac and maybe a "hint" of the baby but no heartbeat. 10 days later everything was present and as it should be. This can happen even as far along as over 6 weeks.

Don't stress, it sounds perfectly normal at this stage. With my son we had a scan at 6 weeks and didn't see a baby yet, has another scan at 9 weeks and there was a nice heartbeat x

With this pg, I went in at 6+1 and we saw a gestational sac measuring 5+5 and a yolk sac. The tech said she saw what was probably the start of the fetal pole and maybe a flicker that could be the hb but she could isolate it from mine. I went in a week later and there was baby measuring right on and everything was as it should be.

The fetal pole doesn't start developing until the end of the 5th week/beginning of the 6th weeks so what you saw is totally normal and nothing to worry about.

I personally can appreciate the other ladies feedback. Please no worries

It's quite common not to see the fetal pole before 6 weeks, don't worry! Seeing the yolk sac is a good sign I believe. I saw yolk sac and gestational sac but no fetal pole at 5w2d and everything was fine at 7w1d when I went back. Baby's heart was flashing away :)

That's fine. :) Some embryos don't show up right away. I know it sounds really scary, but waiting 2 weeks for another ultrasound is perfect. You'll be able to see what's going on, probably without having to question it at all. In the earlier weeks of my current pregnancy, my little embryo measured 12 days small. I know how scary this is. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you see your perfect little embryo at the next scan, and you should see a great heart beating then, too.

I had this with my last pregnancy, you can read my thread here: 6 weeks empty sac - updated good news

6 weeks and just a sac, then at 7 weeks a baby and a heart beat! You'll be fine, seeing a yolk as well is a good sign :thumbup: xx

Thank you all so much! Ive been a nervous wreck and scouring the internet - everything i read says to relax and it can be normal. But it still freaks me out. The last two day i have been so sick with today not being able to keep any food down at all. So I am definitely feeling pregnant. Just praying there is a baby in there. Thanks again ladies!
XoXo

It's quite common not to see the fetal pole before 6 weeks, don't worry! Seeing the yolk sac is a good sign I believe. I saw yolk sac and gestational sac but no fetal pole at 5w2d and everything was fine at 7w1d when I went back. Baby's heart was flashing away :)

HI... Upon reading this comment, it made me a little at ease. I am a nurse but I'm having a hard time to accept the fact that my OB-gyne wants me to do D&C after ruling it out as per checking me for just one week without any further follow-up knowing that I am on early detection pregnancy (5weeks4days). Ultrasound was done for me the other at my 5 weeks and 4 days. Gestational Sac & yolk sac seen but no fetal pole. My HCG were tested for 3 times having 2 days intervals which has results from 23,700 then 22,600 then 24,500 again. The dr ruled out D&C for me but im thinking twice right now as i have seen a lot of cases like these thru the articles and youtube. It has been a devastating and stressful week for me as I don't feel any pain, no bleeding nor cramps at all and the dr who has seen me for just a week decided to rule out D&C for me. And so I was trying to search the net for similar cases. I went to another dr for second opinion and advised me the same thing but at the same time she said wait for 2 weeks and come back to me for re-assessment but if along the way you bleed, accept the D&C.. So I told myself and my husband I will wait for 2 more weeks as long as I don't bleed. The dr's are there to guide us and interpret as per the lab test but I believe we know our self better than them.. As a "mom to be", we have the right to reject what they advised us as long as we don't have the symptoms and reactions that can be seen for miscarriage. Right now I am making myself strong and waiting for the right time. Will update you all for the feedback after my next check up with the new dr. as I know some people might be in the same boat and may see this a little helpful in some way. :flower:

Never agree to a D&C based on not seeing a fetal pole at an ultrasound where you are less than 6 weeks pg... it's common to not see a fetal pole at that point and no doc should ever be suggesting a D&C without a follow up ultrasound at that point in the pregnancy. Best of luck to you, momtobe. I will be honest and say your HCG results are a little bit odd... although I think they stop doubling every 48 hours after a certain level, they shouldn't go down at this point in the pregnancy. But for them then to go back up again is a little strange. They're also quite high (although levels of HCG vary so much it's hard to say if they are high)... I've heard before of people having a twin pregnancy and losing one baby, which could potentially account for the odd numbers, but that's just a wild guess. Best of luck with your next appt... I hope it's good news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->