fish, alcohol, ibuprofen & coffee before i knew!

40mom

Reaction score
I am a 40 year old first time mom-to-be. I came home from a trip to Mexico to find out I was pregnant - it's not quite a week since my missed period. I consumed all the things I'm not supposed to: fish everyday, alcohol, coffee and one or two ibuprofens. I'm nervous about it and would love some input from others about it.

It is highly unlikely that any damage will have been done to your baby as of yet. The fact that you have now stopped, is the main thing. You have to remember that in the first 10-14 days or so, your baby is not even a part of your system. It is it's own little being, floating along and multiplying. It will have no direct link to your blood supply at this time, which is why even blood pregnancy tests may not pick it up at this time.

Many women realize that they had alcohol, fish, etc... before they knew they were expecting, and it would be fair to say that 99% of those pregnancies were fine.

The main thing is that you stop now. As for caffiene, they estimate you can safely have 250-300 milligrams a day, even after you have found out you are pregnant, without causing significant effects; over that amount, and they have found links to miscarriage.

Good luck. Relax. You are fine.

In early pregnancy the baby gets its nutrients mostly from the yolk sack so I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of people don't know they're pregnant right away.

To add -- ibuprofen is mostly a no-no after 30 weeks because it can trigger premature labor, and just "not recommended" before that. But it won't cause any defects or serious harm early in pregnancy.:thumbup:

Agreed with the other ladies- but also wanted to say CONGRATS!! :)

Thank you so much for the quick feedback!! That's fantastic - helps me feel better. Being an older mom I feel I have to being that much more careful. and thanks for the congrats!

This is definately something to celebrate! And you are definately not alone in feeling you need to be extra careful with what you consume. Anytime you have questions about this sort of stuff, there are many women on here who will be glad to help.

There seem to be alot of things pregnant women can't eat, so it's sometimes nice to know what is on the 'no-no' list. Of course, you have to take everything in moderation.

I was wondering... were you aware of the guidelines on deli meats, prepared meats, etc? Sushi? Soft cheeses? These ones seem to be more regional, but it might be safe to steer clear of them as well. For isntance, I believe in England, preggo's are told they can consume sandwich meats. Whereas in Canada, it is a strict no-no, to eat sandwich meats. UNLESS... they are thoroughly heated through before consuming.

It's nice to come on here sometimes and see what other's know about certain foods... But do remember to take these recommendations with a grain of salt...

Ive heard that when it comes to consuming no-no products before you know youre preggo that if damage had been done, your body will miscarry the baby, so since you havent, everything should be fine. Congrats!!!

The week before I got my BFP, it was our wedding anniversary- I ate shellfish, blue cheese, pate, had a couple of cocktails.....almost everything that was a no-no. So far, everything is fine (Bubba was healthy on the 12 week scan).
I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

My baby has gone through loads, I was 5 weeks before I found out I was pregnant and I worked out that the week this bub was concived I was on a 10 day course of antibiotics due to a gum infection (had a tooth removed as well!), had been taking ibuprofin and paracetamol by the dozen due to the pain, then the week after went on works xmas do, lots to drink and the followed that up with a 3 week course of malaria tablets as we went on holiday!
Only found out the day we got back from holiday but so far everything has been OK and scan on Friday so hoping none of the extras the baby has had has hurt.

i drank quite alot before my bfp like everyday(party animal), i wasnt trying for a baby cause i thought i couldnt have them. i wasnt eating alot, drank more coffee than i eat and generally wasnt looking after my body let alone the lil being growing inside me as i didnnt know. i had my 12 week scan a week last friday and everything was fine. i woulnt worry to much about it easier said than done i know, the main thing is your aware now congrats x

I wouldnt worry too much, before i knew i was preg, i fell down a flight of stairs, had an allergic reaction to a curry, drank LOTS of alcohol, smoked a few cigarettes and im sure i ate pate, but at my scan baby was healthy and wriggling around! Try not to panic hun :) xx

40mom-

my mom drank 2 cups of coffee a day throughout her 2 pregnancies. i am pretty normal! as far as alcohol- of course that's a no-no, but you are so early so it doesn't matter as long as you stop now. as far as fish- i'm pretty sure pregnant women are allowed to eat fish once a week.

congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->