Five week scan

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Rumpskin, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

Anyone had any experiences of having a five week scan?

Had a scan today where they found nothing and told I had an incomplete miscarriage. Went to surgical ward to discuss my symptoms. Had an internal exam and lots of questions. My scan pictures were examined by another staff member and I was told there may be a slight chance that the pregnancy may still be there and still progress. I have to go back in a week for another scan and bloods.

They have not ruled out ectopic yet as levels are rising but slowly.

Any stories bad or good I would love to hear x

2. Bubblesuk

Bubblesuk Well-Known Member

Awww hun i have everything crossed that things will be good for you and they find sumthing on the scan next week xxx

3. babyharris201

babyharris201 expecting and mother of 2

i always thought 5 weeks was too early to see anything on an ultrasound. Keep your chin up, I'd say give it a week, and by 6 weeks you have a better chance of seeing a fetal pole and maybe even a heartbeat. Think positive, it just seems awefully early for them to tell you it was a miscarriage......gl hun

4. LilMissHappy

LilMissHappy Well-Known Member

when i had a 5 week scan i just had the sac there. and then by 7 weeks there was baby and hb so good job the surgical team investigated and delayed it a bit. got everything crossed for you. lets hope your next scan goes well. xx

5. CloverMouse

CloverMouse Mom of 2

I just had a scan done at 5 weeks. You could see the gestational sac clearly, but nothing else.

6. mummy2one

mummy2one DS (8) OH (34) ME (30)

With DS I had a scan and 5weeks 3days and there was just a sac x

7. sapphire1

sapphire1 Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar position. I have had some bleeding so had a scan at 6+2 on Tuesday. They couldn't find anything in my uterus and said is was likely a miscarriage or possible ectopic. I was told today that my HCG levels have increased by over 66% and indicates early pregnancy. I have to go back next week for another scan. It's all so confusing and I don't know what to think :wacko:

I would have thought that at 5 weeks it's quite likely that nothing would be picked up on ultrasound. I have everything crossed for you. x x

8. Rumpskin

Thanks lovely - I am so sorry you are going through something similar. I am in limbo as I thought it was bad news and had got my head round this but to be told that there is now something in my uterus I just don't know what to think.

Fingers crossed for us both eh ? X

9. sapphire1

sapphire1 Well-Known Member

Thanks :hugs: I know what you mean. They seemed so sure it was bad news, I pretty much resigned myself to it and now it's up in the air again. I know I should be happy, but I'm just feeling a bit scared and confused.

I hope it's good news for us both x x

10. SabrinaKat

SabrinaKat Delighted Mum to Finn

5 wks is quite early, unfortunately -- keep checking hcg levels and ask for another scan at 7-8wks....please try and relax, it will be a hard week or so, but if it is a mc, there is nothing you can do and if not, then you should have a lovely scan at 7-8wks....

best wishes

11. FeliciaD

FeliciaD Char and Baby #2's Mommy!

I miscarried at 5 weeks (or at least the baby stopped growing then) with my very first pregnancy. But I didn't find that out until I went to the ob/gyn for a regular visit/ultrasound. And they told me there was nothing in there. :hugs: and FX for you.

12. MrsButterfly

MrsButterfly Mummy

Fx'd for you. I had a scan at 5wk 4d and they could see gestational sac and also yolk sac from the internal scan. Good luck :hugs:

13. Rumpskin

Thanks all for your lovely wishes :) I was always told that the hospital would never scan be earlier than six weeks due to my previous miscarriages as they would never find anything on the scan so to have a scan today and be told you have miscarried as there is nothing there and then be told by another yes there is something there just makes my head spin. I now just want resolve and peace in my mind x

14. tansey

tansey Finally a Mummy!

I hope you have better news next week hun. It is best to wait and scan again - they can get it wrong! :dust: and :hugs:

15. xpatchx

xpatchx Wife, Mummy and pregnant!

My scan for my DD at 5 week and 1 day was this:

https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f31/xpatchx/Baby%20Beanie/kkk.jpg

There was a sac, and a hint of a baby - but then I got put forward 3 days.

I hope that you may just be earlier than first thought and that everything is okay for you x

16. steph3883

steph3883 Well-Known Member

I thought I was 6.5 weeks, but went to the doctor and she said I was only 4 weeks and 5 days. She thought I ovulated late. At first ultrasound just saw sack, nothing else. Is this normal? First pregnancy!

17. xpatchx

xpatchx Wife, Mummy and pregnant!

Yes - this is one of many 5 week scans from google showing just a sac:

https://www.ob-ultrasound.net/images/5-5weeks.jpg

18. steph3883

steph3883 Well-Known Member

That is almost exactly what I saw. It's scary not knowing what to expect. I am constantly worried! But no bleeding and no cramps... assuming that's a good sign.

19. albs

albs Well-Known Member

I had a scan at 5w3d and they saw a sac but it was super tiny and they had to work really hard to see it (pressing really hard which isn't the best when you have a full bladder...) 5 weeks is really early so it's def still possible for things to go well at your next scan.

i have another scan in 2 days and i'm just hanging out to see that heartbeat.

FXd for you and your beanie.