Flashcards

Lara310809

Mum of 3 girls
Reaction score
When do you think is the right age to start using flashcards with your baby?

I used number and letter/word flash cards with both of mine from 6mths. Just showing them and letting them play and look at them. My son was using french flashcards at 2 and was reading at 2 but he has Hyperlexia. I do love flash cards lol x

We started from time to time at about 3 months. I know that seems really early but he enjoyed the pictures and hearing us talk. It is now suggested that to help babies learn to talk that parents can read to them from birth, so I do not see any reason why flashcards should be seen differently.

We started about 4/5 months. River loves them, she'll bring them to me now to go through

everyone laughed at me when I started them around 8 months with my son but no one is laughing now that he's top in his class and could read adult novels by the time he was 6

It has actually never occurred to me to use flashcards but this thread has made me thing of getting some. He would probably enjoy it as he is really enjoying books right now so it would be an addition to that.

i have never heard of useing flashcard s but now i have read this thread i guesse it makes sence where do u get them from or do u make yor own?x

To be honest I don't think I will introduce them until around 4-5 when I want him to start learning to read/write English (my LO's first language is French).

i have never heard of useing flashcard s but now i have read this thread i guesse it makes sence where do u get them from or do u make yor own?x

I got mine from Sainsburies, I have number ones and letter ones that are made from card and for when he is older they have a pen that wipes clean and has activities on the back. I have seen them in quite a few shops since buying them though. Amazon sell flash cards though...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=flash+cards&x=0&y=0

I made my own, just with cards from the dollar store and markers, I just did a few at a time for a week or so each and then moved on and I will do the same with Charlie

To be honest I don't think I will introduce them until around 4-5 when I want him to start learning to read/write English (my LO's first language is French).

We dont do them with letters or number but just animals and colours :flower:

My family doesn't live anywhere nearby, so I've been thinking of printing up some pictures of the various family members and doing flashcards of them, so he'll know who grandma and grandpa are. I'd hate for them to be complete strangers to him. As for letters and numbers, most likely I'll base it on when I feel he's ready to start learning and that could be any time from 1 year to 3 years old. Colors and shapes he can learn from everyday objects. We already read to him, so it's more the formality and structure of flashcards that I would be delaying until later.

I didn't use any until Aisling was at an age where she was showing interest in particular pictures in books and pointing at them so we could tell her what they were. We've read to hear since she was tiny and apparently it's the conversational tone and the rhythm of the speech which is important and obviously you can't get that from flashcards. I also prefer to teach her things like numbers and colours in a more natural ways like telling her the colour of a block she had picked up.

I got her the touchy feely flashcards from Usborne at 18 months and it was the right age as she loves them, is always giving them to us to go through :)

Around 3 months, we started using just basic flash cards. Now hes doing My Baby Can Read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->