Fleeting rash on bump

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by jolyn, Oct 25, 2008.

1. jolyn

jolyn Mam to 2, 1 of each

I spent the night away night before last and I woke up at 3am to go to the loo and when I looked down at my bump there was a very strange inflamed rash with all little white blisters all over it. It scared the living daylights out of me as it was clear when I got into bed. Woke DH up and asked him what to do considering we were 150 miles from home! Tried ringing my docs number but was told to ring wrexham's out of hour service. We both decided calmly that we did not fancy traipsing through the night to a hospital with DS so we'd wait a little while and see what happened so I jumped in the shower. Managed to have a little sleep then and when I woke up, my bump was completely clear - wtf? I'm so glad I woke up DH as I think I would have convinced myself I had dreamt it!

Does anyone have any ideas what this could have been or whether it's worth a trip to docs even though it has gone?

2. Holly21

Holly21 Well-Known Member

Did you have a hot water bottle or similar near your bump last night as this can cause erythema ab igne, which sounds the closest to the rash you describe - did it look anything like this? https://www.dermatlas.org/derm/result.cfm?Diagnosis=100

If so, then no need to worry - this rash usually comes on after short term exposure to local application of heat and goes when the source is removed, although some people can get it long term from prolonged exposure to heat.

If it's gone now it's unlikely to be anything to worry about, but if you feel uneasy then see you GP on Monday :hug:

3. Holly21

Holly21 Well-Known Member

P.S. Another common rash with raised white bits in amongst red areas is an urticarial (allergic) rash after exposure to an irritant, but this is usually really itchy and you don't mention itch. It looks like nettle rash.