Florida Vs Canada

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
So, we are going to Florida in Sept 2019, staying in a villa for a fortnight, I've paid the deposit on the villa and have a savings acc for the flights, spends, tickets etc - no where near enough yet.

But hubby is making me have second thoughts- our youngest will be just turning 3 when we go and he thinks itll be too much. He is also worried that we would be spending soooo much money to spend alot of the time queuing up. We did Disneyland Paris in Sept and that was bad enough for queues.

He would rather go to Canada instead. Canada has been top of my bucket list for forever. Price wise, I think it's going to be alot cheaper.

Quick approx breakdown of costs

Florida
Flights approx £4000
Villa £1400
Car hire approx £1000
Tickets approx £6000
Spends- no idea

Canada
Flights- I can currently buy for approx £2000
Rental place approx £1000
Car hire - approx £800
Spends- no idea

My eldest really wants to do Florida, eldest Son wants Canada as does hubby.

Just looking for people's views that have holidayed in either of these places or preferably both. Or even if you live there. Pros/Cons, what their is to do etc etc.

If we do change to Canada I need to weigh up if it's worth going before 22nd Sept this year as baby wont need a seat so will be cheaper, but I'd also love to visit when its snowy butis thete still plenty to see and do in that weather? Tia.

Where in Canada are you thinking of going? We live on the eastern slopes of the Rockies just outside of Calgary, AB. There isn't going to be snow in September most likely. We sometimes get the odd September snow storm, but it's not that common and the snow usually melts the next day. I love the mountains in September and October, the weather is a bit cooler for hiking and the leaves are starting to change colour. I can't really speak for what it's like if you are visiting eastern Canada as I have never been east of Toronto.

That's a tough one! I've always wanted to see Chicago in Winter but have heard Canada is stunning all year round. The Canadian are more welcoming (apparently) but I have friends and family here in NZ both sides of the boundry and find both very much the same - just don't ask a Canadian where in the States they are from as it's not taken too well. :rofl: But Canada is cheaper costwise too and made that discovery through my many online shopping escapades which hubby doesn't know about. :haha: I think the final call would fall on how much you want to spend and what you want to do. But the States hands down if your thinking the themepark thing.

Not got any advice as to where to go, but I’d definitely get a seat for a nearly 2 year old when flying long haul!

Not got any advice as to where to go, but I’d definitely get a seat for a nearly 2 year old when flying long haul!

Yeah thats a good point it is a long way to be without a seat, for the extra I will just pay. And if im goi g to pay then the month isnt really too impirtant in that case.

Regarding area... I'm not too sure. I think perhaps on the East side just because its a shorter flight. I'd like to be at least within an hours drive of the sea. There's just so many lovely places, Canada is so huge isnt it?

I still want to do Florida but I just keep looking at the huge amount of cost for 8 of us and my littler ones arent great at queuing. I guess florid a and canada arent really comparable as they are completely different kinds of holidays aren't they. Canada has always been MY dream but not sure about how enjoyable it will be for the younger kids. It's got to work for us all.

My understanding that although Canada is huge it's not as heavily populated as the States.

Is there any way both the States and Canada are an option if your doing 2 weeks holiday? Still be cheaper to do that than to do 2 weeks as a family of 8 in the States.

I hadn't even thought of that, that's actually a brilliant idea. Will have to look at the logistics if it, not sure how car hire etc would work but it's definitely worth looking into. Maybe even flights if theyre cheap enough.

I hadn't even thought of that, that's actually a brilliant idea. Will have to look at the logistics if it, not sure how car hire etc would work but it's definitely worth looking into. Maybe even flights if theyre cheap enough.

For the size of car you would need and the fuel etc, you might be cheaper flying. I used to work as a travel agent so might be able to help a bit. My sister is still a travel agent and has travelled quite well in the USA (free trips! I’m jealous!)

Well im doing my own head in. Been looking and researching all day. Flights towards christmas get more expensive but I can get flights on 1st Dec really cheaply. Bizarrely, I save £1000 by flying from Manchester to Heathrow to Canada, rather than driving straight to Heathrow and joining the same flight?!

Anyways the areas I like the look of are Nova Scotia/New Brunswick and I have the lovely Eve from this forum thats given me some advice.

Ontario... flying to Toronto and staying between there and Blue Mountain so that the kids can do the whole snow thing. Would first week of Dec be snowy at Blue Mountain village does anyone know? I can not get a booking in the village but I can find properties on Air BnB within 5 mins. I need to see what else is in the area though. I know Niagra Falls is not too far.

Also been looking at British Columbia, flying to Vancouver and visiting Whistler. Same as above- hoping for snow. Properties here are a bit more expensive to rent. Well quite a lot actually, is there a reason for this?

I know Jan/Feb would be better for guaranteed snow but the flights are not available yet for me to see if theyre cheaper.
Also... I think it's be lovely for the kids to go before Christmas. Cheaper than Lapland Haha!

Im so confused!

Properties in BC, especially Whistler, are going to be very expensive because it is a much more popular tourist destination and the cost of living is extremely high in the Vancouver area. Honestly the Blue Mountains pale in comparison to the Rockies, Whistler is a much better destination for snow and mountains, although will also be much more overrun with tourists. Whistler is only a 2 hour drive from Vancouver and will mostly likely have snow in December, although can't be guaranteed. Whistler would be beautiful in September as well, any time of year is beautiful in the mountains in my opinion. If your vacation is in September/October, Nova Scotia/New Brunswick will be gorgeous with all the leaves changing colour. It is a very popular time for tourism for that reason. But keep in mind that if you fly to Toronto, it will be about an 18 hour drive to Nova Scotia. If you are only going for two weeks that means spending at least 4 days of your trip driving to/from Toronto. The beaches/ocean will be nothing like what you will find in Florida, swimming is very cold and most people wear wetsuits even in the summer months.

Properties in BC, especially Whistler, are going to be very expensive because it is a much more popular tourist destination and the cost of living is extremely high in the Vancouver area. Honestly the Blue Mountains pale in comparison to the Rockies, Whistler is a much better destination for snow and mountains, although will also be much more overrun with tourists. Whistler is only a 2 hour drive from Vancouver and will mostly likely have snow in December, although can't be guaranteed. Whistler would be beautiful in September as well, any time of year is beautiful in the mountains in my opinion. If your vacation is in September/October, Nova Scotia/New Brunswick will be gorgeous with all the leaves changing colour. It is a very popular time for tourism for that reason. But keep in mind that if you fly to Toronto, it will be about an 18 hour drive to Nova Scotia. If you are only going for two weeks that means spending at least 4 days of your trip driving to/from Toronto. The beaches/ocean will be nothing like what you will find in Florida, swimming is very cold and most people wear wetsuits even in the summer months.

Thank you Jess. So much to try and take in... wish I could visit everywhere! I know it'd be very different to Florida. I'd like to do both in the next 5 years I guess it's just which is most suitable to do first. Lots to think about but really appreciate the advice from those in the know :)

Here in NZ we have dirt cheap national flights that you CAN get for as low as $39 and flights to certain parts of Australia for $130 one way (carry on luggage only) if you book far enough in advance or get in quick with securing a set. Is there anything similar that could be offered for you when you book? But I agree, given you are booked for Florida, it would be cheaper and less time consuming to fly directly to Canada especially with little ones in tow. But I do hope that you find a way to experience both Canada and the USA. :) Bit of advice, when in Canada try Poutine. It's hot chips, lots of gravy and cheese curds. Doesn't sound great but a friend of ours made it for us when he stayed and it is seriously good!!

If you do Florida, I would try to avoid Christmas and New Year's weeks as well as late Feb through April, those would be the busiest at the Disney parks due to school breaks. I also think you could get by in Florida without a car rental if you stay near the parks they have shuttles to get around.

Here in NZ we have dirt cheap national flights that you CAN get for as low as $39 and flights to certain parts of Australia for $130 one way (carry on luggage only) if you book far enough in advance or get in quick with securing a set. Is there anything similar that could be offered for you when you book? But I agree, given you are booked for Florida, it would be cheaper and less time consuming to fly directly to Canada especially with little ones in tow. But I do hope that you find a way to experience both Canada and the USA. :) Bit of advice, when in Canada try Poutine. It's hot chips, lots of gravy and cheese curds. Doesn't sound great but a friend of ours made it for us when he stayed and it is seriously good!!

It is extremely expensive to fly domestic within Canada, it's one of the reasons I've never been east of Toronto. I can fly from Calgary to Argentina for cheaper than flying from Calgary to Toronto.

It is extremely expensive to fly domestic within Canada, it's one of the reasons I've never been east of Toronto. I can fly from Calgary to Argentina for cheaper than flying from Calgary to Toronto.

National flights should be cheaper. Man that sucks. :(. I also found International shipping from Canada is not only expensive, but takes about 4 months to arrive too.

Perhaps do canada this year if poss then save for florida for in like 3 or 4 years or something so nellie is a bit older for it?

I've been to Florida (although not Disney) and loved it. Loved the beaches and the weather (we went in May) It may be still pretty hot in September. I've been to Canada one time (we visited Niagara Falls) which was also very nice. If you would visit the falls I think a few days would be sufficient and then you could be off to see other things.

I can’t comment of Canada but we done 3 weeks in Florida recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I only have 1 DD it she surpassed our expectations of how well she coped with the walking and queuing! If you go to Disney off season then the queues honestly won’t be bad. We waited no more than 25 minutes for a ride and that was first week in July. You can pre book dining and fast passes months in advance now and we found that helped us fit more into our Disney days. Aside from Disney, the beaches are beautiful and we didn’t find shopping or eating out too expensive anywhere. There’s a great Facebook page called It’s Orlando Time which has great Florida/ Disney advice if you need it 👍

I live near Toronto but am south of the Blue Mountain area. If you are looking at Jan and especially Feb you are more likely to have snow but it is also generally colder. (Though this year we've had such bitter cold the last 2 weeks that most ski places are closed!! That's not the norm though). Early December would be hit or miss but DH says if it's cold enough they usually have man made snow. There's another member her (Tiff) who lives extremely close to that area and could give you lots of pointers. She isn't on forum much but I can point her in your direction if you like?

There is a lot to do in Toronto but we are not near the sea. I have never been to east coast Canada but I hear it is beautiful. (I actually grew up in TX not Canada, married a Canadian :haha:). If you do decide to stay near TO though give me a shout as I have lived in the area for the better part of 12 years and can give you pointers, places to visit etc. :)
Toronto itself is a little over a 20 hour drive from Orland (we made the drive in October). It's not a bad drive but in the winter it could be trickier.

We loved Florida (kids are 9 & 5). We spent the entire vacation at Disney and truly enjoyed it all but it was the first time at a Disney park for all four of us.

We spent a week at Disney World/Florida with the kids back in August and had a wonderful time. It was my third trip to DW/Florida and I've loved every one! We didn't make it to the beach since we were staying on property at Disney, but I did love the beaches we visited during one of my earlier trips. The kids had a great time, and we're planning to go back in a year or two after the Star Wars area and resort opens up.

I did a trip to Canada after high school and wasn't really impressed. I'm a southern/hot weather girl though, and I haven't been impressed with the northern States/areas I've been to either (except NYC). :haha: It's a beautiful country, especially if you're a nature person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->