Flower girl

Alias

Mum to two
Reaction score
My little girl was 3 in April, and she's going to be flower girl for her aunt at the end of June. We hadn't really thought much about it until now, as we weren't really sure if she'd be able for it, but we're going to give it a go - she's got a dress and shoes and is getting excited. She'll probably walk up with aisle with one of her other aunts (bridesmaids, it's her father's side so I'm not in the wedding party) as I doubt she'd do it herself.

Just wondering has anyone else has a flower girl at this age... have you any advice or is there anything I need to think about. I am considering trying to curl her hair but have serious doubts she will sit still long enough. Maybe with a new puzzle or books... I told her she can paint her nails for it as well :)

Alice was a bridesmaid last month, so a bit older than your little girl. It went far better than I expected! We watched some youtube videos of bridesmaids, and talked about what would happen. She also took her camera, which made her feel more comfortable with other people taking pictures of her. I brought a pack of stickers, books, colouring pencils and a notepad with is, but as it turned out she didn't use them. Snacks were a must, as I've found the timing of food a bit hit and miss at weddings.

Good luck!

I was sure I replied to this yesterday but it mustn't have worked - was having internet issues yesterday!

Sophie was a flower girl in October at just over two and a half, so a bit younger than your LO. She was really good, I just explained to her that she had to be quiet through the service etc, and then she got a good run around while the photos were being done.

One thing we did do was to get her a white long sleeved top a couple of sizes bigger than her usual size, to put over the top of her dress for the meal :) Saved any spillages!

xx

Excuse me digging up this thread but I need some advice.
DS is to be paigeboy at his Aunts wedding in a couple of weeks - no other children - and I'm dreading it.
The bride has a daft idea that two 16 year old girls on the grooms side will want to entertain him but something tells me they'll be more intrested in dancing themselves and eyeing up what talent there is. Rather than amuse a 2 year old they don't know.

I know I can use the ipad to get through the speaches, but how the heck do I get through the rest of the day??

What time is it acceptable to take him away?? He might last a while but at the same time I have no doubt I will be me who's stressed out and want to leave.

What toys are good to take with me?

My LO was a flowergirl last week so 25 months old. She was a pro at getting down the aisle and swanned down it herself but then was a right pain in the bum throughout the service so I ended up taking her outside. She cooperated for photos but I knew there was no way she was going to sit through a meal and speeches so we arranged to have my sister come pick her up as soon as we got to the reception which is a shame because she would have loved the disco! The Bride and Groom were happy with this decision although they would have liked to have a dance with her at the disco.

It's 3 hours away from my family or I would get him picked up.
The dance bit.might be ok but im also concerned he'll fight sleep and end up over stimulated and over tired.
I'm absolutely dreading this wedding.

I too was dreading it which I think LO picked up on and therefore turned into a little madam. I would advise to stay calm and hopefully he'll stay calm and relaxed too!

My 21 month old was a flower girl this past weekend and it was a resounding success. Mind you, we had pretty low expectations so we were pleasantly surprised. :)

Here's a picture of my NuBear (Fionnuala) in action!

Attachments

• nunu.jpg
    nunu.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 15
Excuse me digging up this thread but I need some advice.
DS is to be paigeboy at his Aunts wedding in a couple of weeks - no other children - and I'm dreading it.
The bride has a daft idea that two 16 year old girls on the grooms side will want to entertain him but something tells me they'll be more intrested in dancing themselves and eyeing up what talent there is. Rather than amuse a 2 year old they don't know.

I know I can use the ipad to get through the speaches, but how the heck do I get through the rest of the day??

What time is it acceptable to take him away?? He might last a while but at the same time I have no doubt I will be me who's stressed out and want to leave.

What toys are good to take with me?

I think your over thinking it. Niamh has been to several wedding and all we have taken is a colouring book. She was the only child at two of them and she had plenty of fun charging round and there were no shortage of adults who wanted to play with her.

Thanks. Good to hear you have experienced a wedding being the mother of the only child and it went ok.

Its not his first wedding but the first he's been at without any other kids and he's a year older. It's only in the last few weeks he'd touch a colouring book but even at that it's "your turn".

we took Barry to a wedding in june so just shy of his 3rd birthday, the cermony lasted about 30 minutes we entertained him with quiet toys and books, the ceremony he just ran around like a madman and spent ages on the dance floor.

i was worried at first but he was great and enjoyed himself.

My lo had just turned 2 when she a flower girl for her godmother and was a super treasure all day!! I was really worried but she sat perfect in church, walked down the aisle holding hands with the bridesmaid who she had never met before, and just came and sat with me in church (I did have a drink and biscuits on hand but didnt need them) and she finally crashed about 8.30 (her latest bedtime ever!!!!) and grandad picked her up so we could carry on the party for once!! I wouldnt worry, they wouldnt have asked if they were concerned at all about her age, just enjoy it, she will look amazing!!
xxxxx

I started this post, and the wedding has since happened. My daughter tends to be shy, so we brought her to the church for the rehearsal to see where she was going to be. She practiced going up and down the aisle. But on the day she got a bit upset by the crowded church and number of people, so I ended up going down the aisle with her. We then took her home instead of to the drinks reception so that she could have some play time.

She went to the dinner with us, she was overawed by all the people, lights and noise to do much. She was the only child at the dinner and happy to be 'a big girl' who got to stay up. She crashed around 9 I think and we brought her home, put her to bed and left her with the sitter while we went back to the party.

Oh, we did encourage her to have a short nap before the wedding to get her though the day. It definitely helped, she stayed in bed for over an hour but I'd say she only slept 30 minutes.

Thanks for letting me know how it went. I definitely think taking him away for a wee while rather than going to the drinks will be the best think for me to do. Let him run his wee heart out and try and get him to have a sleep. Even if it means walking with the buggy.

I'm taking a couple of Thomas trains, and I've just ordered a leapfrog bus thing to entertain him should he get bored.

Anything else you'd recommend I take?

River was a flowergirl at 2 1/2 and she loved it, she walked down the aisle really nicely and sat eating her meal and then partied the night away (she enjoyed dancing with my friends to Skrillex :haha:)

I was there by myself with a 6 month old Willow (there was only one other child there and they left early) and honestly i barely had to entertain River because all my friends were all over. She adored it, chatting to all the people and showing off.

Im sure your LO will be fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"