Flu jab advice please ladies...

gypsy1981

Mum and expecting #2
Reaction score
So I was all set to go for my flu jab this afternoon after being advised by my midwife that it is completely safe, however now my cousin has just posted a link on Facebook to an article about the flu jab and miscarriage. There are a lot of women commenting saying how they started to miscarry within hours or days of having the jab and some of these women were 16 weeks pregnant or more. I don't know what to do now, I don't want to do anything to put baby at risk but the midwife says it's dangerous for baby if we don't have it!

Has anyone had it and been fine or does anyone know anyone who's had it and lost their baby? I just want a few opinions before I make a decision x

HAve it. There is no connection to having the jab and miscarriage but there is a connection between pregnant women having flu and miscarrying or dying. Had mine 3-4 weeks ago.

I've had it and I'm fine. They are so very careful about what they give pregnant women. Its been rigorously tested.

I had mine over a week ago. No problems. However last year my brother spent a month in a coma due to pneumonia which had mutated from the flu virus so I was deffo having the jab.

To be honest I was still scared but I havent had any issues and havent heard anyone on here having lost their baby since being vaccinated.

My advice is go for it but I fully appreciate its a personal decision. xx

I'm having mine later, my sister had it whilst preg last year and has a healthy little girl.

As others have said, there is a huge risk to your baby if you get flu whilst pregnant. There is no proven risk to the vaccine, trying to put it into perspective. I wonder if the findings looked into any other possible causes of these miscarriages. Obviously any problems with the babies may not have been detected at 16 weeks as it is before the anomaly scan.

I go to alder hey regularly with my daughter and see children with various problems from being born very prematurely due to their mothers getting flu and going into labour.

Just my opinion xxx

I think absolutely have it if I were you hun. Believe me, if you catch flu whilst pregnant it will be much, much worse and sometimes life threatening

I had it a couple of weeks ago xxxx

Any link between flu jab and misscarriage is just scaremongering. It's perfectly safe abd be assured that your mw/gp will know much more about it than your cousin and they will be recommending you get it!

It had mine weeks ago and me and baby are great!

I've just had mine this morning. The risks from having the flu jab are much smaller than the risks of getting flu while pregnant.

Thanks for all your advice. I think I maybe need to talk my concerns over with my doctor or midwife and see what they say - I know I should get it but that worry over miscarriage is niggling away at me. I'm so scared of hurting my baby in any way x

I am going to have it but not until I am safely into the 2nd tri, I suffered a mc on Aug 5 & just don't want to risk anything in the first tri

Had mine about two months ago, and we're fine. Even had a midwife appointment yesterday and baby is healthy and growing at a normal rate.

I am going to have it but not until I am safely into the 2nd tri, I suffered a mc on Aug 5 & just don't want to risk anything in the first tri

That was my situation exactly. I miscarried in July so I've been ultra cautious about everything with this baby. I've had my scan though and baby is fine and I'm 14 weeks now so I'm wondering if this is the right time to do it.

I had it done weeks ago and have been fine. My FIL is a doctor and we spent a lot of time going through all of it with him. There is no risk to the baby. But if you did get flu and had complications with it then they could be a very high risk to both you and your baby!
My OH still didn't want me to have it but was persuaded in the end by his dad (who's been a doctor for 45 years). It’s your personal choice in the end but i wouldn’t let things like that article worry you to much, they would not be given pregnant women any kind of jab if there was a risk.

I had the flu shot at about 10 weeks, so far Im nearly 15 weeks and everything is OK. I thought a lot about it too, but I know a ton of people that have had it. And, from a science/medical perspective, I'm not really sure *how* it would cause MC. I dont think there is enough chemical that it would effect a normal, health person and it only stimulates your immune system -- which is what any side effects are from, the shot making your body "fight" it off and prepare antibodies (although its a dead or weakened virus - depending on the shot - so you cant actually get the flu)

There is something in the US called OTIS that is doing a study to follow women who have had the flu shot and other medications during pregnancy and follow them and the babies for a year after birth, to really show if there are any effects from the flu shot. Although it won't be published for a while, there are places out there doing research! And I'm proud to be a part of that.

There are however studies showing how bad it is for the baby if you get the flu!

I still haven't gotten mine. I just can't decide if I should or not. I don't get vaccines for myself as a personal preference, but the thought of the flu while pregnant scares me too. I also don't trust there has been enough research on the vaccine while pregnant. I dunno, I'm on the fence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->