Fluid around the baby's heart

Jeannette

Pregnant - 1st Trimester
Reaction score
I had my 18 week ultrasound today and they found fluid around the baby's heart. The doctor was being fairly vague about what it could be. I googled it and found a huge spectrum of possibilities from it being nothing to being really awful. Has anyone had this happen? Please share any stories you have as I am losing my mind!

I haven't dealt with it but I would think that if the doc was super concerned, s/he would've sent you off for more tests. I'm sure as you move along things will become more clear. :)

I'm sure if it was something serious the doc would have mentioned it, I know its easy to worry but try not to worry. Maybe contact the doctor and ask more questions :hugs:

I was so upset when I wrote this I totally forgot the part about the testing :doh: I have to go for a level 2 ultrasound next week and and fetal echo-cardiogram. I am so so scared

Don't worry, the reason the doctor was vague was for the same reasons you were confused by the google results: there are endless possibilities. I have seen several women on here say their babies/friend's babies had a similar thing and have gone on to be perfectly healthy. The odds are that your baby will be fine, but the doctor wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't do tests to make sure of that.

Try to relax until then, all your worrying will most likely be for nothing :hugs:

No idea what it could be, hope your little one is ok

The doctor is doing the right thing and sending you for the extra tests to rule out anything scary - and if there is anything to worry about they will find out then and they'll have lots of time to decide what (if anything) needs to be done once baby arrives.

There is also LOADS of time for any problems to right themselves - the measurements they use to decide "normal" and "abnormal" quantities of fluid are always very precise and as with all humans, there has to be room for variety.

I'm not going to tell you not to worry (absolutely no point as you will anyway :)) but I'm going to send you hugs instead!

:hugs:
x

Thank you all for the encouraging words....and the hugs :)! I'm trying to keep busy and not think about it too much till next week. Good luck to me!!!

I know it's hard but try not to stress too much, and you're hereby under orders prohibiting you from partaking in any further googling! :winkwink: All of the best with the scan next week. :hugs:

Please dont look on the internet- it is the worse resource open to a pregnant woman looking for answers on something that is so case specific. If you need more help and advice phone up your mw or hospital and ask to speak to the head mw, they will get your scan out and talk about your possibilities. When looking on the net you see the worse case scenerio.

You are half way through, and the scans are getting so advanced that they pick things up that before would never have been identified, and often they would have sorted themselves out.

If you need specific advice Im not sure, but maybe you could go for a private scan and they would give you more advice?

All the best, I truly hope it all works out for the best, take care of yourself x x x x

Jeannette, best wishes to you - I bet he is just fine. :hugs:

Jeanette, I am scheduled for a level 2 U/S and an echo cardiogram at 20 weeks. This is part of what my doc wants to see done -- level 2 is just a more thorough view of the baby, and the echo is obviously to get better anatomy of the heart. Don't freak yourself out -- chances are so very good that all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->