Flying after a lap for Endo - Advice needed!

London Kiwi

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering how soon people have flown after a laparoscopy for Endo.

My consultant has refused to write me a letter for the airline, which I totally understand as she needs to cover herself.

I feel ok to fly. I understand Its alot to do with the c02 gas they put inside me and that i'd also need to walk around a fair bit to avoid clots but what else do I need to think of...

Should I cancel the whole trip (lets be honest, i am not keen to do that!). I understand I wont be covered by my insurance....

My surgery was Monday, im due to fly Friday night. Im doing nothing except lying in the sun for 9 days when im on my trip so coming back will be fine, its just getting there.

What does everyone think??

Thank you xx

Forgot to add, the flight is 11 hours... so not exactly a short trip!

I personally think i'll be fine..... but just need some reassurance! :)

Oh I feel really crappy saying this. And of course it is one story out of 1000s where it doesn't happen, and they are a bit different procedures but you do need to be careful.

An acquaintance flew shortly after having her appendix removed on a long-haul (1 week after if I remember correctly) and she developed clots at site of the surgery and this went to a brain and this made her lose the majority of her eye-sight.

I am sorry! I know it is not what you want to hear. BUT having your appendix removed is wayyyyyy more invasive so maybe you'll be fine and I just scared you for no reason!

Just thought it was important to warn you that there are risks to flying after procedures....

I hope I didn't just ruin your trip! As I said they are completely different procedures....

I feel all guilty now!

Eeeek thanks for letting me know Sweden! That sounds awful. The poor thing.

I work in the NHS and have just asked some of the nurses, they said "i should be ok" but i was hoping that someone might've had the same thing and then flown with a good news story...

Im a little weary now!

Hahaha! Noooo dont worry.
I asked the advice, and I got it - thank you for responding! x

I hope I didn't just ruin your trip! As I said they are completely different procedures....

I feel all guilty now!

Yes I just googled for you and found this on the NHS website and it says 1-2 days after keyhole surgery. So you should be fine after 5 surely?

Maybe take an aspirin before and ensure regular walking?

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2615.aspx?CategoryID=69

Thanks hun, I have read that website - and figured i'd be ok.

I only began to worry when the consultant said that she would not write me a letter saying I was fit to fly...

I have the compression stockings from my op so i'll be wearing those and I think i'll pick up some asprin today. Im going to acupuncture tonight so he might have some tips for me.

Then I guess i'll decide on Friday depending on how I feel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->