• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

flying with a baby

doumauk

mama to salim,expecting
Reaction score
Has anyone ever flown with a baby? Me and Salim will hopefully be flying out to Morocco when he is about 9 weeks old. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with this on how to make the journey go as smoothly as possible. Salim is totally breastfed and I wanted to know whether it would be easier on his ears if i give him a bottle for take off and landing etc. I would be really greatful for any advice.

I flew with my son when he was 10 weeks old, from TX to the Uk. It was not that bad. I nursed him on the way up and way down. He didn't seem to have any trouble with his ears bothering him.

Friends of mine flew to the UK (30hrs) with their then 3mth old. They didn't have any problems, although she was a very placid baby. Book well in advance and they will probably give you the seats at the front of the economy class seats, so you have plenty of space to put your things and fluff around with baby, rather than being squashed in a tiny row! Good luck!

I flew at 7 weeks with Marlowe. She didn't have any problems with her ears even though she didn't feed on the way up or down. Call the airline to book the bulkhead seats so you have more room. Also, you can have a nappy bag for him as well as your carry-on. Take your stroller or carseat to the boarding area and they will put it on the plane for you. If it's a big bulky pram though, you should call to make sure they'll stow it for you.

Caitlin was 9 months when we first flew with her and she just sucked on her dummy, but never bothered her ears at all, luckily I won the flights and they gave us an extra seat so she had her own seat :)

If they are a certain ege you can take their car seat and strap it into a seat. Unfortuantely we brought the wrong car seat your only allowed the front facing ones so we had to use ours as extra baggage.

My sister has flown from Oz to us with both her babies, she's says it's easiest when they're under 6 months. It's the sucking that helps their ears, so breastfeeding is good, especially if that's what he's used to as it will be relaxing too.

We flew to Oz when F was 4 months old. She slept most of the way there and on the way back. The jet lag was a bit of a killer, but apart from that, no problems. We also did a few internal flights. F was bottle fed though - I reckon BF would have been easier.

c

Thank you for all your replies. I feel a bit less scared now lol. I just want to make sure he is as relaxed and settled as possible, I dont want to get tutted at by other passengers if he is screaming the plane out! Best bit is his daddy waiting for us at the other end yay!!!:happydance:

Forgot to say that if you have a sling, it's a godsend! My LO started getting grumpy on just one of the short flights, so we walked her up and down a bit in her sling.

Also, having a basinette made such a difference - try to book one if you haven't already!

Cx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"